How do you people design your programs?

Started by
4 comments, last by Furion 21 years, 6 months ago
I know this doesn''t really relate to games, but it''s a Design questions: How do you people design your cheapie little programs? Just write everything out on paper? (like every little variable, function, array that you''re going to use?) And then write everything out in order?
Advertisement
UML.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
I agree, UML is good. If you are working alone or in a small group, build some variant of it so that you don''t have to go nuts strictly adhering to UML standard if you are not used to it already.

However... "How do you people design your cheapie little programs?" Uhm. Cheapie? Not sure how you meant that - but it might be offensive to most people trying to have fun developing and making a future for themselves...
Yeah, the big thing to remember about UML is that it is fundamentally OPTIONAL. Each type of diagrams has places where it is useful, and places where it is not. if you find yourself making diagrams that consist of two symbols with a line of some sort drawn between them, move on to something productive (i.e., a different kind of diagram).

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
I write the general structure on paper, clases, methods, members and hierachy, the rest is on my mind and on code. Blackboard is also usefull. We are talking about little proguies right?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I write exact keystrokes on paper. I have photocopies of winmain and DX initialization, and I make appropriate changes directly on them, then I proceed with the rest of the program. If debugging takes more than about five minutes, I print it all up and sit down at a desk to work. I don''t read any more text on screen than I have too.

ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement