Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What else?

This topic is 5531 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, so there are certain types of things that you can do to harm your enemy in an RPG: Do dmg., burn away mana, slow him down. What else? I''m trying to think of other things you could do to harm an enemy, but most of them fall into the category of "do damage to him." Are there anymore I''m missing? Anymore you people can think of?

Sure there are!

*kidnap thier kids.
*become friends with them. then curse thier offspring.
*challange them to a game of cards.
*insult them.
*drive over them in your SUV.
*take away thier credit cards.
*make it impossable for them to ever be happy again.
*destroy thier selfworth.
*lock them away with other monsters. then get them to all fight each other.
*after drawing thier blood. pour salt on the wound.
*bite them.
*convince the barbarian to have sex with them.
*make them play really bad video games, while allowing them to make humorus comments about the onscreen action.
*tell them the barbarian gave them a STD
*get them drunk. then when they pass out, throw them in a tub of ice next to a phone and note saying "don''t move...call for help...most monsters only need one kidney anyway"
*fart in thier general direction. if that doesn''t harm them, then light a match.
*deny them the right to go to the bathroom...ever again.
*force them to eat your aunt''s fruitcake from last Christmas.
*get them hooked on cigarettes.
*get them hooked on drugs like crack.
*brainwash them, then make them jump off a cliff.
*hipnotize them, then when they hear the keyword "hello" they will kill themselves.
*drown them with a tablespoon of urine.

need more?

quote:
*make them play really bad video games, while allowing them to make humorus comments about the onscreen action.

PURE GOLD mystery science theater rules

"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD

Heheheh.

Actually, you need to think slightly more strategic. Yes, taking away his HP is the main goal, but you could try other ideas out. One idea is reducing his speed, defense power, attack power, etc. But you could expand the possibilities, for example, changing his elemental attribute and locking out some of his skills. Terrify him into running away (assuming its an AI badguy). Push him off a ledge, leaving him in a strategically worthless position. Of course, all of these measures only help the main goal I mentioned, which is wrecking his HP.

Beyond that I''m not sure what more you can do without breaking the RPG mold completely and having you fight a single enemy spread out across the entire game. Then you have Chess.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.

Well, I don''t think I''m being helpful, but if you really wanted to avoid the standard attacks of an RPG, it makes more sense to get away from the core mechanics that are what MAKE those attacks standard.

An idea that might be more helpful: deplete one of their resources. Money, food, energy, friends, land, clothing, health, etc. could all be targets for this.
Oh, when I say "health", I don''t mean HP. I meant his actual health not a silly number. Like make him sneeze every two seconds, or give him an allegic reaction to money. Maybe give him terrible gas, make him dizzy, etc.

Don''t forget "Drive them mad" (as in, Mozart vs. Salieri in "Amadeus"). Spells could be one way a character''s sanity could be affected, but certainly there are other ways.

If you want to keep away from the insanity thing, consider affecting their mind in other ways. Controlling them for instance -- someone already mentioned hypnosis, but what about just plain manipulation and flattery? Or, give them a disease that makes them think they are a squirrel.. or, tell them (whether it''s true or not) that the container you just sold them for really cheap is actually not a rare bag of magical coins, but in fact a very powerful explosive that requires only the slightest vibration to trigger it.. play on various character quirks such as vanity or recklessness.. etc.

These are all things that could negate an opponent''s ability to defend himself.

Any threat to family or loved ones, of course, is a very powerful way to harm or blackmail an enemy.

Frame them for something (anything from murder, to spitting on an evil dwarf''s polished axe)

Heh, this is a disturbingly entertaining question.

Brian Lacy
Smoking Monkey Studios

Comments? Questions? Curious?
brian@smoking-monkey.org

"I create. Therefore I am."

Oh, and don''t forget a few simple ones like stealing from him, disarming him, and scaring him.

Brian Lacy
Smoking Monkey Studios

Comments? Questions? Curious?
brian@smoking-monkey.org

"I create. Therefore I am."