Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the right book??

This topic is 5536 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve bet this has been asked a lot of times already. Well I have to ask again because the posts that I have skimmed through have pretty contradictory posts. (this book bad...good...subpar...blah) I''m reading SAM''s teach yourself c++ in 21 days and I think I''ve pretty much exhausted my understanding of the book and can''t go any further. (I skipped like four chapters ) Can anyone recommend me a comprehensive and complete c++ book? I hope there isn''t a list full of schidt sux and blah blah blah. Is it impossible for the majority to agree on a book? I know no book is perfect but there''s that all around goodness factor

first read the four chapters you skipped, unless you already learned that info in another book.
Next get a good reference type book, I have C++ how to program by deitel and deitel, but you can also get The C++ Language by Stroustup ( I know I must have mangled that spelling, I always do ). In fact I would get both. I have the pdf version of Stroustup''s book too. And no, I will not send it to anyone, I paid for it, you can too.
Finally, buy the more design oriented books out there like effective C++ parts one and two, and also get a design patterns book and the Art of Programming series by Knuth. If you finish all that with a deep understanding of you will be ready to learn directx or opengl

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by lucinpub
first read the four chapters you skipped, unless you already learned that info in another book.
Next get a good reference type book, I have C++ how to program by deitel and deitel, but you can also get The C++ Language by Stroustup ( I know I must have mangled that spelling, I always do ). In fact I would get both. I have the pdf version of Stroustup''s book too. And no, I will not send it to anyone, I paid for it, you can too.
Finally, buy the more design oriented books out there like effective C++ parts one and two, and also get a design patterns book and the Art of Programming series by Knuth. If you finish all that with a deep understanding of you will be ready to learn directx or opengl

Sounds good to me..

quote:
Original post by silverwolf0
Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping more than one person would answer tho.

You don''t need more than one person, what lucinpub has said is pretty much what others are gonna say.

*Scribble with excessive amounts of loops and curls*