Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Changing Windows file types w/o a restart

This topic is 5538 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My program edits the registry to register new file types, including associating icons and commands (so double-clicking the world file runs my program and loads it) but a reboot is necessary to load the new settings. My question is, how do I avoid the reboot? I know it's not necessary since you can manually create/edit file types (under Folder Options -> File Types) and these settings are loaded instantly. ~CGameProgrammer( ); EDIT: To provide more information, here is an example that I do: The extension: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tug\(Default)->REG_SZ(Town.UncompiledGeometry) Main key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Town.UncompiledGeometry\(Default)->REG_SZ(Town Uncompiled Geometry) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Town.UncompiledGeometry\BrowserFlags->REG_DWORD(0x08) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Town.UncompiledGeometry\EditFlags->REG_DWORD(0x00) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Town.UncompiledGeometry\DefaultIcon\(Default)->REG_SZ(C:\My\Town\Town.exe,1) This sets Compile as the default command: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Town.UncompiledGeometry\shell\(Default)->REG_SZ(Compile) The compile command: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Town.UncompiledGeometry\shell\Compile\(Default)->REG_SZ(Compile) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Town.UncompiledGeometry\shell\Compile\command\(Default)->REG_SZ(C:\My\Town\Town.exe -compile %1) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Town.UncompiledGeometry\shell\Compile\ddeexec\Application\(Default)->REG_SZ(Town) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Town.UncompiledGeometry\shell\Compile\ddeexec\Topic\(Default)->REG_SZ(System) The edit command: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Town.UncompiledGeometry\shell\Edit\(Default)->REG_SZ(Edit) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Town.UncompiledGeometry\shell\Edit\command\(Default)->REG_SZ(notepad %1) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Town.UncompiledGeometry\shell\Edit\ddeexec\Application\(Default)->REG_SZ(notepad) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Town.UncompiledGeometry\shell\Edit\ddeexec\Topic\(Default)->REG_SZ(System) What that all does is this:

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on October 20, 2002 1:28:38 AM]