Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qwanda

DepthTest Problem

Qwanda    122
Hello everyone! I have got a very annoying problem concerning the depth testing in OGL. I dont really know how to describe it but lets say that I render a scene and some faces kind of "shines throug" each other. They are not in the same plane or anything and they do not intersect ither. If the faces DO intersect, the intersectionline gets nagged, like /\/\/\ instead of ------. I hope you understand what I mean. I have a GeForce4 MX440 and Im running WinXP Pro, but when the problem first occured i was running Win98SE. And yes, i have updated my drivers. I dont get this problem on my other computer with an Voodoo2 and Win98SE. And I dont have any problems when I run OpenGL games. This is driving me nuts. Does anyone recognise this problem and may have a solution? All help is apreciated. Thanx in advance, Qwanda

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Z-fighting. Increase the size of your depth buffer, move your near plane farther out, and/or lower your far plane.

Fluffe    122
Check out this thread:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=48968

Basically the values in your z-buffer aren''t accurate enough for what you''re doing. The z-buffer contains a value for each pixel in the framebuffer which tells your where something is located between the near and the far clipping planes. The bigger the distance between the planes is, the less accurately will the values in the z-buffer tell you where that something is located.

To solve the problem you simply shrink the space between the clipping planes or use a 24-bit or 32-bit z-buffer.

Kurioes    250
And move the front clipping plane as far away as possible, you''re wasting accuracy otherwise. Don''t know why but I read that somewehere...

(MSDN->Graphics->OpenGL->Tips_n_tricks or something)