• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PhiberOptic

VB vs Cpp and CLOD?

This topic is 5749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have some questions.. 1. First of all.. I have figured it out that almost every Game developmet team uses C++ as language. Of course C++ is a very great and powerfull language for commersial products but what about VB? How much real difference is it in a d3d app VB vs C++? Or is it just the memory-handling advantage in c++ that increases the speed? I though of this when I realised that VB would decrease the Development time on smaller 3D games.. true? 2. CLOD: When you do an outdoor game with a "height map" base on like a BMP picture.. You might want to get some optimizations, what is the best CLOD technique to do? (Might not be CLOD but something similar like Geometric-optimizations). I would be glad to get an answere =) // Petter

Advertisement
quote:
I though of this when I realised that VB would decrease the Development time on smaller 3D games.. true?

Yes, for VB.NET with DirectX 9 - otherwise IMHO the language is just too limited to make a lot of things comfortable.

quote:
When you do an outdoor game with a "height map" base on like a BMP picture.. You might want to get some optimizations, what is the best CLOD technique to do? (Might not be CLOD but something similar like Geometric-optimizations).

It is definitly asking intelligent questions. First you ask for the best CLOD technique, THEN you say "may not be CLOD". Can you please send me a program, but nothing that was programmed?

CLOD is constant level of detail - IMHO a very bad way, simpley because of the power of graphics cards. I would go for Gsome sort of GeoMipMap - better render some patches at too high a detail level, than having to recompute everything constantly.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

Ohh.. I thought CLOD was continues Level Of detail or something similar.. I''m not used to all that 3d terms.. =)
But you understood what you I said..

Thank you! =)

right - sorry. THe rest of the statement still stands.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

Hey, I''m an VB programmer (please don''t hurt me, seems like I''m on the wrong place here )! I''m using VB6 and I noticed that you could do some real nice stuff (check out matrixvb.da.ru, I''m currently working on an Quake3 BSP renderer and I could get 30FPS on my PC!). VB.Net kicks C++''s ass! But I''m not going to use it because not everyone already have the .Net framework installed

I will change over to .Net when I think the time has come, I will stay with VB6 for now...

I got my start programming games and DirectX in VB. From my experience the only thing that VB is limited to is performance, everything I''ve been able to do in C++, VB could do easier.

On the one hand, VB is a very forgiving language, it is quick and easy to learn, and is compatable with DirectX. I recomend it to get your start learning programming concepts, and directx.

However, if you really want to make a respectible game, VB is not really an option. The memory management overhead is not the only problem here. Just try to run through a simple loop a thousand times and compare the speed difference. VB just doesn''t go as fast as it takes to make cutting edge games.

If you intend on pursuing game development as an amateur or hobbyist, I reccomend VB because cutting edge stuff doesn''t really matter - you are making it however you want. For stuff that needs to sell in stores, though, the minimum standard is a little more than I think VB is able to achieve.

wolliwer, that''s completely my opinion!

C#? I couldn''t see any sense about an new C-language

I can see your point with VB as a simple language that you can make powerfull things on with DX.. But the whole question was if VB is much slower than C/C++? Like what difference is there between a vb loop and a cpp loop compiled to assembly?

In matter of coding, the BASIC language makes me sick. I''ve done TicTacToe in QBasic once.. ohh that was easy but damn, it feels like writing an English paper. Horrible!

The whole question was for a friend as a matter of fact. I''m not so found of DX coding. I prefer AI coding in C++. For AI I think I don''t want to change to VB.. I''m already using some advanced features in C++ that I don''t think VB can provide me with. STL for instance.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!