VB vs Cpp and CLOD?

Started by
14 comments, last by PhiberOptic 21 years, 6 months ago
Well, my advice is C# ir VB.NET (depends how "professional" you develop - especially when making something like a 3d engine, I would not work without opeator overloading, and this is not possible in VB.NET) in combination with DirectX 9 rocks.

That is DorectX as it should be - SIMPLE. Really simple.

You guys should have it latest in 4 weeks.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
Advertisement
quote:Original post by thona

CLOD is constant level of detail - IMHO a very bad way, simpley because of the power of graphics cards. I would go for Gsome sort of GeoMipMap - better render some patches at too high a detail level, than having to recompute everything constantly.

Don''t knock it ''till you''ve tried it. Software LOD techniques are still very valuable on machines that don''t have the latest 3d hardware, which is still a pretty signifigant portion of the market.
i vote for C#. because it is modern. I think in future microsoft will support it as primary language. After all its syntax style is lot like Java. microsoft will have good support for DX9 with C#/.NET too. and DX9 will be more easy to use in C#.
3D Side-Scroller game demo Project-X2 "playable"Lashkar: A 3D Game & Simulation Project demo @ lashkar.berlios.de
Just so''s you know, C#, like Java, is intended only for application programming, not for systems-level programming, which would in the case of games pretty much equate to time-critical code (such as core engine code).

For time-critical areas neither is likely to ever be as good as natively-compiled code. Hence, unmanaged C++ for engines, Java, C# or what have you for the application - Java if you''re worried about vendor buy-in, C# otherwise. With the advent JNI and the native interop abilities of .NET, they''re pretty much balanced, if not precisely equivalent, for app stuff.

ld
No Excuses
I would say that although C# is more modern, its microsoft specific, and still might not be all that better for video games, as far as VB, even with respect to the obvious speed differences, I dont think code should always be as straightforward as most of the basic languages, e.g. the dim keyword, begin, end, sub. I can''t imagine seeing all those mostly useless words in a project with 6 million lines of code, "int a1 = 5" says everything im doing, declaring an integer with the name a1 and giving it a value, what would I want to add. just my opinion of course. What I can see in .NET is writing the interfaces and everything in C/C++ and using it VB(or C#), possibly implementing a scripting language through VB also, when you''re doing high level things, a high level language looks fine. But there are plenty of things I would never want to see done in VB.
VB6 is much slower than C++, but you could work around this using good code, precalculating everything where posible and try to call non-VB functions wich do everything wich would be slow in VB (an C++-Dll sometimes helps a lot, e.g. I''m using one for MD2 KeyFrame interpolation).

VB.Net speed is very close to C++/C#, it''s very fast, but as I said, I won''t use it because nobody has the framework installed (no normal user, I know most of you have )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement