Pointer to vector

Started by
19 comments, last by Craazer 21 years, 6 months ago
If i have vector like this: vector vMyVector; hove can i make it pointer, is it bossible? example how could i get vMyVector to *pvMyVector ? [edited by - Craazer on October 20, 2002 10:20:47 AM]
Advertisement
Same way you do with any other variable: the address-of operator ''&''.

vector* pvMyVector = &vMyVector

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
quote:Original post by Kylotan
Same way you do with any other variable: the address-of operator '&'.

vector* pvMyVector = &vMyVector

Is that really so? i allready tryed to do that but didnt work.
see if i normally have STRUCT vector and access its variables like this:

vMyVector.x

and now if i use pointer (vector* pvMyVector = &vMyVector )

pvMyVector.x

doesnt work!
or
pvMyVector->x

doesnt work either

it doesnt work becose i start using vector class variables instead of my struct stored to vector. U know?

[edited by - Craazer on October 21, 2002 12:42:18 PM]
quote:Original post by Craazer
and now if i use pointer vector* pvMyVector = &vMyVector, pvMyVector.x doesnt work!

It''s not supposed to. Member dereference for a vector uses operator ->.

quote:
pvMyVector->x doesnt work either. it doesnt work becose i start using vector class variables instead of my struct stored to vector. U know?

No, I don''t know. If you have a vector data structure which has a member x, then a pointer to an instance of vector named pvMyVector will return the member x with the syntax pvMyVector->x. Perhaps you are doing something funky?
If i have vector like this:
vector<int> vMyVector;

There''s the problem! std::vector is a dynamic array, not a 3d vector. It doesn''t have a member named x. What you want is your own 3d vector class, something like this:
template < typename T >struct vector3{  T x, y, z;}; 

You can then do the following:
vector3< int > vMyVector;vector3< int > * pvMyVector = &vMyVectorpvMyVector->x = 12; 

// Sorry my vector is vector<struct> vMyVector;// not vector<int> vMyVector;  like i sayd, sorry. // Heres some simble code what i just write struct TT{ int x; int y;};vector<TT> vec;void main(){  vector<TT> *pvec; pvec = &vec pvec->_Ctptr; // accesses only the vector class }    

So i hove can i have the pointer?
should i use template < typename T > in this one then?

[edited by - Craazer on October 21, 2002 12:56:44 PM]
vector<TT> *pvec;

Why are you using a pointer? Use a reference instead.
quote:
pvec->_Ctptr; // accesses only the vector class

You haven''t called operator[] to retrieve an element. If you want to access elements via a pointer, you should be doing this:

pvec->operator[](index).x = 10; 

If you used a reference rather than pointer, you wouldn''t have to use such a warped syntax.
quote:Original post by SabreMan
Original post by Craazer
vector *pvec;
Why are you using a pointer? Use a reference instead.

I need to use pointer becose i have multible vectors wich contains stuctures but they basicly hold the same data.
so i have to choose wich vector to use at wich point.

[edited by - Craazer on October 21, 2002 1:18:54 PM]
I need to use pointer becose i have multible vectors wich contains stuctures but they basicly hold the same data.

That doesn''t rule out use of a reference.
quote:
so i have to choose wich vector to use at wich point.

You mean it needs to be reseatable? In that case, a reference won''t do, so you should consider a suitable smart pointer in preference to the dumb pointer you''re currently using. Check out the boost::shared_ptr at Boost''s website.
you need to access the vector using [] first.

then use the structure it gives you

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement