Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michalson

ASCII Fishtank Mini Contest!

quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
What limitations on sound do we have?
Are we limited to only the CPU beeper?
Or can we use some other sound API?

As stated before there are no limitations on sound, and since its not a focus of the contest (like the Ascii graphics and AI) you are free to use any API/library/etc you want. The only limitation is that you must stay within the 500KB zipped size limit, which means CD quality background music is likely out of the question.

I'm in. This will be my first attempt at AI, and also a GameDev.net contest. I know I probally will not win, I'm a programming newbie, but it's all about the fun in making the project.

Goodluck to all who will be doing this. Also Michelson are you makeing your own?

Jeff D

[edited by - Jeff D on October 25, 2002 4:32:57 PM]

quote:
Original post by Jeff D
Goodluck to all who will be doing this. Also Michelson are you makeing your own?

Jeff D

Hopefully yes (depending on how much time I get), though as stated in the rules my entry wouldn't qualify for anything past the initial scoring (even if it got a perfect score from the judges it would still be at the bottom with a big red DISQUALIFIED ). At the moment I'm messing about making a new ASP site that can support this contest and other future (possible) Mini-Contests.

Note: Just to clarify (I made an edit earlier today at the top of this thread): This is not an "official" Gamedev contest (Dave and Kevin are overworked as it is), it's being run by me for the benefit of the Gamedev community and hopefully as a proof of concept for a set of regular "official" Gamedev.net mini-contests. The only reason this is in Gamedev's official announcements forum is because I have mod powers and asked Dave real nice for permission to put it here.

[edited by - michalson on October 25, 2002 4:35:33 PM]

quote:
Original post by Draigan
What''s the prize for wasting my time writing this?

Just kidding about wasting my time.... or am I? Yeah, I am. Or am I?

Well, err, it''s a really big, ummm, nothing. Basically this is a way of stimulating positive community interaction. We all work in a friendly/competitive manner on a similar short term project, sharing ideas, and learning new things we would have likely not thought of otherwise. That and the winner gets to say (s)he 0wnz j00 a11 \/\/ith teh 1337 ><4x0r skillz (s)he has until the next mini-contest.

Question about applicable lib''s:
While thinking about this idea, the thought of controlling input came to mind. Using DX7 DInput seemed the easiest to me, but puts limitations on the app as far as compatability with Win95. Would this be an issue or should I rethink my idea using Win32 function calling?

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.

michalson: she?!? are there any women at all in these forums.. I once tried to explain hello world to my girlfriend.. she was asking what I was doing (and no I wasn''t coding hello world, just used the example to demonstrate to her what programming is). The only girl or woman I know of in game development is Diana Gruber.. and I don''t know if she has ever done anything else than apogee style sidescrollers..

quote:
Original post by smokes
michalson: she?!? are there any women at all in these forums.. I once tried to explain hello world to my girlfriend.. she was asking what I was doing (and no I wasn''t coding hello world, just used the example to demonstrate to her what programming is). The only girl or woman I know of in game development is Diana Gruber.. and I don''t know if she has ever done anything else than apogee style sidescrollers..

Looks pretty female to me. (There are many more but I either don''t have their picture or the copies I have are not public knowledge [I don''t want to intrude on their anonymity])

quote:
Original post by Michalson
Well, err, it''s a really big, ummm, nothing. Basically this is a way of stimulating positive community interaction. We all work in a friendly/competitive manner on a similar short term project, sharing ideas, and learning new things we would have likely not thought of otherwise. That and the winner gets to say (s)he 0wnz j00 a11 \/\/ith teh 1337 ><4x0r skillz (s)he has until the next mini-contest.
As you seem to have some influence on Dave, you could perhaps convince him to hack in a personal post icon and/or a little nice colored text beside his (or her, if fel is joining ) handle for the winner.

I will probably not attempt this; my creativity has left me

---------------------------------------------
"VB is a disease"

quote:
Original post by Michalson
Hopefully yes (depending on how much time I get), though as stated in the rules my entry wouldn''t qualify for anything past the initial scoring (even if it got a perfect score from the judges it would still be at the bottom with a big red DISQUALIFIED ).
Don''t you ever get tired of having that besides your name?

*runs and hide*

"VB is a disease"

quote:
Original post by CWizard
Don''t you ever get tired of having that besides your name?

*runs and hide*

"VB is a disease"

Considering that it''s my contest, I could change it to something like DISQUALIFIED FOR BEING TOO GOOD )

quote:
Original post by Programmer One
I''m in.

Can it have user interaction?
Like press F for food, A for adding another fish, T for tapping the fish tank, E to make fish explode...

Yes, infact I encourage it for any serious entry (the third category, "Appeal" is where you get marks for adding "features" like this).

Hmm, does it really need to be ''serious'' ? Ie. does the simulation needs to be physically correct, do the fish need to do what real fish also do, etc, or can it be something totally awkward ? I was thinking about simulating a very special kind of fish...

quote:
Original post by Yann L
Hmm, does it really need to be ''serious'' ? Ie. does the simulation needs to be physically correct, do the fish need to do what real fish also do, etc, or can it be something totally awkward ? I was thinking about simulating a very special kind of fish...

There is nothing requiring it to be "accurate" (I doubt the judges will be experts on marine life anyway). As stated in the rules you can create any kind of sealife, real or mythical so long as you make an effort to make it recognizable as sea life (ie. don''t put some boxes or smilies moving around the screen and call it "underwater" because the background is blue)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Nice contest idea.

Some clarifications:

1) Are custom fonts allowed? What about a custom extended character set? I assume not, since you ask for ASCII, and the images you post are of the most common extended character set.

2) Are we limited to a single foreground/background color for each character? Given the limited palette this might not be a big issue, but it is technically possible to have a single character made of two or more colors (say, half red and half green on a blue background). Is this out of bounds?

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Nice contest idea.

Some clarifications:

1) Are custom fonts allowed? What about a custom extended character set? I assume not, since you ask for ASCII, and the images you post are of the most common extended character set.

2) Are we limited to a single foreground/background color for each character? Given the limited palette this might not be a big issue, but it is technically possible to have a single character made of two or more colors (say, half red and half green on a blue background). Is this out of bounds?

No, it must only be the standard characters available in video mode 3/Windows Console (otherwise it would be easy to just emulate a higher resolution by modifying all the characters).

Yes, in a regular console/text mode 3 you can only display things with a single foreground/background color. For the purposes of this contest you must also use the standard palette.

To help clear things up about this, if you can''t do it in a fullscreen Windows console with standard commands it''s out of bounds.

It should be added that if you''re using OpenGL or Direct3D, you must remember your entry will only be valid if the characters are drawn orthogonally (parallel to the screen) and the correct size. You should run in 640x400 resolution (not 640x480) with each character being either 8x16 or 8x8, your preference (but obviously 8x8 is best). If you do this right and turn off texture filtering then it should look just like DOS.

~CGameProgrammer( );

quote:
Original post by Antony Paul
It sounds like a brilliant idea.
Michaelson: Will your site put up the final 10 or something so we can look at the best entries?

The site will have all the entries available for download.