• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michalson

ASCII Fishtank Mini Contest!

This topic is 5308 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

That looks pretty nice. I just wrote an ASCII dithering engine myself, it looks surprisingly good.

But I''m afraid that all fishtank entries will end up looking all the same, if everybody uses that technique, though. I will perhaps try a totally different concept.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Yann L
But I''m afraid that all fishtank entries will end up looking all the same, if everybody uses that technique, though. I will perhaps try a totally different concept.

To be honest I don''t think its practical (I certainly won''t be be) to use fancy text image dithering except for side elements like intros, back end graphics (such as pictures in a "pet shop" interface) and backgrounds. No matter how much you dither, the fish are just too small to look like anything but blobs (unless you make your fishtank zoom in on one fish). Hardcoded ASCII fish as in the original thread are the way to go in order to create something with "Life" and "Appeal".

Oh my LIFE that looks SO much sweeter than my console raytracer... I love it, look foward to seeing the source if you do your entry this way.

I''ve totally moved away from this approach for purposes of the contest, but I''d love to incorporate a similar technique into my raytracer. I''m guessing you don''t feel like sharing hints on how you figure out the nearest renderable colour for a given original colour just at the moment though?

Michalson, what about audio? Can I add music? It could be dull without sound/audio.

BTW. Beat the ACHII gfx in these demos and your good:

Super Killer

PP Contact

They are amazing.

BTW. IainC, your ACHII raytracer was really cool (not too speak of the rest of the stuff on your site - you are GOD!!)

And Michalson, that video was sweet. Good luck.

I gotta join this competition, could be k00l!

/MindWipe

quote:
Original post by MindWipe
Michalson, what about audio? Can I add music? It could be dull without sound/audio.

Yes (of course), the only limitation (and I admit it might be a big one) is that the final product must fit into a 500KB (this is due to Bandwidth issues).

quote:
Original post by MindWipe
And Michalson, that video was sweet. Good luck.

I should really get the text compressor done. The full thing is much better (though it takes up a full CD uncompressed)

Just out of curiousity...

I'm using OpenGL to draw texture mapped quads of the ASCII characters... Does this count as "pixel accurate emulation"?

[edit] just to clarify, the reason I'm asking, is because obviously, when the app is run at normal resolution, it should be pixel perfect, but this will partially depend on the video card settings. I know that on my card, you can set the maximum texture quality via a control panel applet, the result being that the drawn ascii characters get blurred when the card is not set to the maximum quality setting, and look blocky if I use the GL_NEAREST texture paramater. [end of edit]

Oh yeah, and what about having a superimposed logo, or copyright noticed done as a regular image?

[edited by - skjinedmjeet on October 23, 2002 2:31:04 PM]

quote:

BTW. IainC, your ACHII raytracer was really cool

- Thanks man Wait till I get some colour in there though...

BTW, hair option #9 is definately the one to go for

www.coldcity.com
code, pics, life

quote:
Original post by skjinedmjeet
Just out of curiousity...

I'm using OpenGL to draw texture mapped quads of the ASCII characters... Does this count as "pixel accurate emulation"?

[edit] just to clarify, the reason I'm asking, is because obviously, when the app is run at normal resolution, it should be pixel perfect, but this will partially depend on the video card settings. I know that on my card, you can set the maximum texture quality via a control panel applet, the result being that the drawn ascii characters get blurred when the card is not set to the maximum quality setting, and look blocky if I use the GL_NEAREST texture paramater. [end of edit]

Oh yeah, and what about having a superimposed logo, or copyright noticed done as a regular image?

[edited by - skjinedmjeet on October 23, 2002 2:31:04 PM]

Rule Clarification 1: 3D APIs

So long as you attempt to make it pixel perfect it will be accepted, however by using a 3D API to do round-about emulation of a 2D surface you take the risk that it will not run correctly on a judges machine (tearing, etc), which might lose you marks in the graphics or appeal category.

Rule Clarification 2: Regular Images

You main program should not include any "regular" images, only text. However to allow reasonable setup and configuration the following will be allowed:

A hardware configuration screen (can be in a seperate exe if you wish) can be included which can use normal Win32 GUI, including images such as logos. The only restriction I will place is that these configuration screens should *not* be used for getting graphics/etc marks so those screens should *not* include animated/live content or sound except to test it (basically if the user does nothing the screen should be entirely static).

I will also allow for reasons of practicality the use of basic message windows (text, a standard icon and an OK button) in your main program.

[edited by - michalson on October 24, 2002 6:54:41 AM]

quote:
Original post by Michalson
There is a thread somewhere about "Ascii 3D engine" you can pickup some clues there. Basically you need a software 3D engine whose output you downsize and dither for text mode. If I make an entry it will likely have an introscreen using my dither engine (emulates about 376 unique colors at 80x50 pixel resolution)

Wow... originally I was going to do a fish tank, but this ascii engine has really sparked my interest. How are you managing to emulate 370+ colors? The most I can forsee is 144 or so... Hmm... I guess this is just going to take some thought. It doesn''t seem to be a very popular topic as searches turn up very little.

This topic is 5308 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.