• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASCII Fishtank Mini Contest!

This topic is 5250 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

To see all the colours you can get, make a console program that outputs ASCII chars 176, 177, 178 and 219 with every possible combination FOREGROUND_RED | FOREGROUND_GREEN | FOREGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_GREEN | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY etc etc...

Or for a cheap monochrome version have a look at my realtime ASCII raytracer.

www.coldcity.com
code, pics, life

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by IainC
To see all the colours you can get, make a console program that outputs ASCII chars 176, 177, 178 and 219 with every possible combination FOREGROUND_RED | FOREGROUND_GREEN | FOREGROUND_INTENSITY | BACKGROUND_GREEN | BACKGROUND_INTENSITY etc etc...

Or for a cheap monochrome version have a look at my realtime ASCII raytracer.

Yeah, I did some thinking and came up with the same way to get all those colors... (though I included char 32 as part of the process). My current confusion lies in the calculation of color based off of the pixel data. IE: taking a color (say a 50/50 split of blue and green and converting it to the appropriate color in a BG/FG ASCii character...

I did check out your raytraceer, very cool... would love to see it in color. I think this may be my new obsession.

- James

quote:
Original post by AtelierVisca
My current confusion lies in the calculation of color based off of the pixel data. IE: taking a color (say a 50/50 split of blue and green and converting it to the appropriate color in a BG/FG ASCii character...

Thanks for the compliments

You'll notice Michalson being all coy about the color lookup he's using...

In the hideous colour ASCII version of the raytracer you can see the beginnings of something. First I work out which base colour the pixel I'm testing is closer to; eg, if r > (g + b) it's a "red" shade, if g > (r + b) it's "green"... and then I can set the colour and choose the char based on the brightness as before.

It kind of more-or-less almost nearly considers working, but looks crap.

Just had a thought though (why am I even saying this before the competition's through?) - I bet it'd be worth *cough* *splutter* *cough* *wibble*

(Edit: I'm tired, I'm working late, I want to go home, I can't spell)

(Edit: Saw fit to splutter all over the blatant big huge hint I dropped that crapped all over my competitive edge )

www.coldcity.com
code, pics, life

[edited by - IainC on October 24, 2002 3:50:08 PM]

[edited by - IainC on October 24, 2002 3:53:00 PM]

quote:
Original post by IainC
Just had a thought though (why am I even saying this before the competition''s through?) - I bet it''d be worth *cough* *splutter* *cough* *wibble*

I can''t see this being useful for the actual fish tank. The fish might be too small to really be worthwile (too blurred).

But I agree that Michalson is keeping a pretty tight lip on his technique...

- James

quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
What limitations on sound do we have?
Are we limited to only the CPU beeper?
Or can we use some other sound API?

As stated before there are no limitations on sound, and since its not a focus of the contest (like the Ascii graphics and AI) you are free to use any API/library/etc you want. The only limitation is that you must stay within the 500KB zipped size limit, which means CD quality background music is likely out of the question.

I'm in. This will be my first attempt at AI, and also a GameDev.net contest. I know I probally will not win, I'm a programming newbie, but it's all about the fun in making the project.

Goodluck to all who will be doing this. Also Michelson are you makeing your own?

Jeff D

[edited by - Jeff D on October 25, 2002 4:32:57 PM]

quote:
Original post by Jeff D
Goodluck to all who will be doing this. Also Michelson are you makeing your own?

Jeff D

Hopefully yes (depending on how much time I get), though as stated in the rules my entry wouldn't qualify for anything past the initial scoring (even if it got a perfect score from the judges it would still be at the bottom with a big red DISQUALIFIED ). At the moment I'm messing about making a new ASP site that can support this contest and other future (possible) Mini-Contests.

Note: Just to clarify (I made an edit earlier today at the top of this thread): This is not an "official" Gamedev contest (Dave and Kevin are overworked as it is), it's being run by me for the benefit of the Gamedev community and hopefully as a proof of concept for a set of regular "official" Gamedev.net mini-contests. The only reason this is in Gamedev's official announcements forum is because I have mod powers and asked Dave real nice for permission to put it here.

[edited by - michalson on October 25, 2002 4:35:33 PM]

This topic is 5250 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.