• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michalson

ASCII Fishtank Mini Contest!

This topic is 5309 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

quote:
Original post by Draigan
What''s the prize for wasting my time writing this?

Just kidding about wasting my time.... or am I? Yeah, I am. Or am I?

Well, err, it''s a really big, ummm, nothing. Basically this is a way of stimulating positive community interaction. We all work in a friendly/competitive manner on a similar short term project, sharing ideas, and learning new things we would have likely not thought of otherwise. That and the winner gets to say (s)he 0wnz j00 a11 \/\/ith teh 1337 ><4x0r skillz (s)he has until the next mini-contest.

Advertisement
Question about applicable lib''s:
While thinking about this idea, the thought of controlling input came to mind. Using DX7 DInput seemed the easiest to me, but puts limitations on the app as far as compatability with Win95. Would this be an issue or should I rethink my idea using Win32 function calling?

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.

michalson: she?!? are there any women at all in these forums.. I once tried to explain hello world to my girlfriend.. she was asking what I was doing (and no I wasn''t coding hello world, just used the example to demonstrate to her what programming is). The only girl or woman I know of in game development is Diana Gruber.. and I don''t know if she has ever done anything else than apogee style sidescrollers..

quote:
Original post by smokes
michalson: she?!? are there any women at all in these forums.. I once tried to explain hello world to my girlfriend.. she was asking what I was doing (and no I wasn''t coding hello world, just used the example to demonstrate to her what programming is). The only girl or woman I know of in game development is Diana Gruber.. and I don''t know if she has ever done anything else than apogee style sidescrollers..

Looks pretty female to me. (There are many more but I either don''t have their picture or the copies I have are not public knowledge [I don''t want to intrude on their anonymity])

quote:
Original post by Michalson
Well, err, it''s a really big, ummm, nothing. Basically this is a way of stimulating positive community interaction. We all work in a friendly/competitive manner on a similar short term project, sharing ideas, and learning new things we would have likely not thought of otherwise. That and the winner gets to say (s)he 0wnz j00 a11 \/\/ith teh 1337 ><4x0r skillz (s)he has until the next mini-contest.
As you seem to have some influence on Dave, you could perhaps convince him to hack in a personal post icon and/or a little nice colored text beside his (or her, if fel is joining ) handle for the winner.

I will probably not attempt this; my creativity has left me

---------------------------------------------
"VB is a disease"

quote:
Original post by Michalson
Hopefully yes (depending on how much time I get), though as stated in the rules my entry wouldn''t qualify for anything past the initial scoring (even if it got a perfect score from the judges it would still be at the bottom with a big red DISQUALIFIED ).
Don''t you ever get tired of having that besides your name?

*runs and hide*

"VB is a disease"

quote:
Original post by CWizard
Don''t you ever get tired of having that besides your name?

*runs and hide*

"VB is a disease"

Considering that it''s my contest, I could change it to something like DISQUALIFIED FOR BEING TOO GOOD )

This topic is 5309 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.