ASCII Fishtank Mini Contest!

Started by
210 comments, last by Michalson 20 years, 4 months ago
quote:Original post by Programmer One
I''m in.

Can it have user interaction?
Like press F for food, A for adding another fish, T for tapping the fish tank, E to make fish explode...

Yes, infact I encourage it for any serious entry (the third category, "Appeal" is where you get marks for adding "features" like this).
Advertisement
Hmm, does it really need to be ''serious'' ? Ie. does the simulation needs to be physically correct, do the fish need to do what real fish also do, etc, or can it be something totally awkward ? I was thinking about simulating a very special kind of fish...
quote:Original post by Yann L
Hmm, does it really need to be ''serious'' ? Ie. does the simulation needs to be physically correct, do the fish need to do what real fish also do, etc, or can it be something totally awkward ? I was thinking about simulating a very special kind of fish...

There is nothing requiring it to be "accurate" (I doubt the judges will be experts on marine life anyway). As stated in the rules you can create any kind of sealife, real or mythical so long as you make an effort to make it recognizable as sea life (ie. don''t put some boxes or smilies moving around the screen and call it "underwater" because the background is blue)
hmm time to go find a Qbasic compiler
There''s also always DJGPP.
(Completely free, by the way.)
Nice contest idea.

Some clarifications:

1) Are custom fonts allowed? What about a custom extended character set? I assume not, since you ask for ASCII, and the images you post are of the most common extended character set.

2) Are we limited to a single foreground/background color for each character? Given the limited palette this might not be a big issue, but it is technically possible to have a single character made of two or more colors (say, half red and half green on a blue background). Is this out of bounds?

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Nice contest idea.

Some clarifications:

1) Are custom fonts allowed? What about a custom extended character set? I assume not, since you ask for ASCII, and the images you post are of the most common extended character set.

2) Are we limited to a single foreground/background color for each character? Given the limited palette this might not be a big issue, but it is technically possible to have a single character made of two or more colors (say, half red and half green on a blue background). Is this out of bounds?

No, it must only be the standard characters available in video mode 3/Windows Console (otherwise it would be easy to just emulate a higher resolution by modifying all the characters).

Yes, in a regular console/text mode 3 you can only display things with a single foreground/background color. For the purposes of this contest you must also use the standard palette.

To help clear things up about this, if you can''t do it in a fullscreen Windows console with standard commands it''s out of bounds.
It should be added that if you''re using OpenGL or Direct3D, you must remember your entry will only be valid if the characters are drawn orthogonally (parallel to the screen) and the correct size. You should run in 640x400 resolution (not 640x480) with each character being either 8x16 or 8x8, your preference (but obviously 8x8 is best). If you do this right and turn off texture filtering then it should look just like DOS.

~CGameProgrammer( );
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
It sounds like a brilliant idea.
Michaelson: Will your site put up the final 10 or something so we can look at the best entries?
quote:Original post by Antony Paul
It sounds like a brilliant idea.
Michaelson: Will your site put up the final 10 or something so we can look at the best entries?

The site will have all the entries available for download.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement