• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michalson

ASCII Fishtank Mini Contest!

This topic is 5307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m not sure I want to participate in this contest. I have never done contest things before. But...
I think it would be cool to run a contest where every entry costs the developer like $5 to submit. That way, the winners could have a % of the pot based on what place they scored.
eg.
1st place = 50% of the pot
2nd place = 25%
3rd place = 12%
4th place = 8%
5th place = 5% (or somthing to that effect)

anyways, I wanted to know if submitters have to use c/c++. Or can they use other languages or multiple languages. (Reason being, I saw someone said somthing about getting a qbasic compiler???)
If I do anything, I will use c however. I need the practice.

-= Twisted Matrix =-

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by CGameProgrammer
It should be added that if you''re using OpenGL or Direct3D, you must remember your entry will only be valid if the characters are drawn orthogonally (parallel to the screen) and the correct size. You should run in 640x400 resolution (not 640x480) with each character being either 8x16 or 8x8, your preference (but obviously 8x8 is best). If you do this right and turn off texture filtering then it should look just like DOS.

~CGameProgrammer( );

Haha! there is a 500k limit man. anyone who uses openGL/win32 for this contest must not be to worried about file size since it will add a few hundred Kilobytes to the executable.

HINT: Use DOS. Not openGL. Unless you can''t (Thus my "Haha!")

-= Twisted Matrix =-

quote:
Original post by TwistedMatrix
anyways, I wanted to know if submitters have to use c/c++. Or can they use other languages or multiple languages. (Reason being, I saw someone said somthing about getting a qbasic compiler???)
If I do anything, I will use c however. I need the practice.

Any language is ok so long as your executable will run under Windows (which means DOS executables are ok so long as they don''t do anything crazy)

I think the judges (whoever they are) should give people bonus points for using true dos vga programming. It would encourage people to do somthing the right way
just my 2 cents.

-= Twisted Matrix =-

quote:
Haha! there is a 500k limit man. anyone who uses openGL/win32 for this contest must not be to worried about file size since it will add a few hundred Kilobytes to the executable.

Hmmm...I only seem to have maybe 50-65kb max tacked on to use OpenGL/win32...maybe its just my secret formula

My first program was only about 4k upx''d, although I''m sure if Michalson tried really hard, he could have done the same thing in a hundred bytes or so.

My ASCII emulator compiles down to about 80k...

Hmm... but with OGL you can have a faster screen update and....well... that''s better.

Plus, I can''t seem to get the 80x50 mode using dos interrupts. Although that''s probably just my card.

quote:

HINT: Use DOS. Not openGL. Unless you can''t (Thus my "Haha!")

The Northern Dragons (demo group) did a 4K demo using OpenGL, so 500k is HUGE! I guess you''re just not doing it right.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena

This topic is 5307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.