• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michalson

ASCII Fishtank Mini Contest!

This topic is 5279 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

it''s *that* simple :
char far * PT_VIDEO = (char far *)0xb8000000;

Gee, I wish I had a bit of time to submit an entry, it''s *SO* the kind of things I like to do !!! arrrrrrrh

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by TwistedMatrix
urm? If you are compiling your program with BC.exe, your program will likely already have bugs. might want to try the compiler/linker from VBDOS. syntax is the same, but less buggy than the qb45 compiler.

Didn''t realise that it was buggy. Haven''t encoutered any bugs in anything that I''ve written yet, so maybe it is only with certain commands.
quote:
PS> using LOCATE and PRINT, your video will have to be updated 2000 to 4000 (if using 80x50) times a loop. I imagine that will be a problem for you. Then again, mabey not.

That''s true with almost any method - a loop will be needed. I can probably use a smaller window or different systems. Who says the fish have to be fish-shaped?

--Thomas McCorkell

Just what is Karma? Is it a way to rate people? A way of assigning privilege levels? Or is karma just an anti-spam system?

quote:
Original post by ahw
it''s *that* simple :
char far * PT_VIDEO = (char far *)0xb8000000;

Nope. Sorry djgpp doesn''t know what far is. That''s the problem I''m having. How do you assign a far pointer in djgpp?

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.

quote:

DJGPP is a complete 32-bit...

It would appear DJGPP uses protected mode, in which case there is no such thing as near (same segment) and far (different segment).

Guest Anonymous Poster
Should the fish tank have food in it? What if one of the fish dies? What should happen then? Another thing, can I put a big fish in the tank that eats all of the other fish? Actually I want to put an electric eel in the tank... that would be cool!

A little warning to anybody else thinking of using QuickBASIC...
Don''t bother going to the MSDN site . As far as they are concerned, QuickBASIC does not exist. It is a figment of your imagination.
A site I found which covers QuickBASIC is QB45.com.
Hope this helps anyone thinking of using QuickBASIC.

--Thomas McCorkell

Six inches tall, and armed to the teeth, a fine soldier he made
And his name was Boggy B.
~ the Wormsong

quote:
Original post by Greven
Nope. Sorry djgpp doesn't know what far is. That's the problem I'm having. How do you assign a far pointer in djgpp?

Always remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.

You need to disable protection, like so:

#include <sys/nearptr.h>

__djgpp_nearptr_enable();
textmemory=(char *)(0xb8000 + __djgpp_conventional_base);
__djgpp_nearptr_disable();

Also, to use assembly in DJGPP do this (this is a conversion of the assembly code I posted on the previous page):

union REGS regs;

regs.h.ax = 0x1202;
regs.h.bl = 0x30;
int86(0x10,&regs,&regs);

regs.h.ax = 0x3;
int86(0x10,&regs,&regs);

regs.h.ax = 0x1110;
regs.h.bx = 0x800;
regs.h.cx = 0xA;
regs.h.dx = 0x0;
int86(0x10,&regs,&regs);

[edited by - michalson on October 30, 2002 4:09:30 PM]

-> Greven <-
Im a newbie 2, i am using DJGPP also for this compo and would be happy to help you get started.

I have MSN messenger. My handle is 'camos85@hotmail.com' which you can add (If you have it), if not you should probly go get it, its alot smaller than ICQ (2.somthing MB's)

I am in the process of switching emails (I have had the same one for 5 years and its gets alot of SPAM) or i would give you my email address.

ttyl

[edited by - TwistedMatrix on October 30, 2002 4:21:26 PM]

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Should the fish tank have food in it? What if one of the fish dies? What should happen then? Another thing, can I put a big fish in the tank that eats all of the other fish? Actually I want to put an electric eel in the tank... that would be cool!

Anything you want, being creative is all part of the contest.

This topic is 5279 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.