• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Psybr

d&d rules

This topic is 5752 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i''m writing an rpg game, and the d&d rules/system seems to wkr well for commercial programs. i wanna use this set; is it copyrighted/ do i have to get a license or something, and does anyone know where i can find an explanation of rules?

Advertisement
D&D? It''s very unlikely you would get permission from Wizards of the Coast to use the rules officially. It was impossible for me to even discuss one of their products in my last book (they denied my request). Oh well. If you wait long enough, you may be able to - it looks like Wizards is slowly selling off their divisions. Their mag is gone, Chainmail is gone, etc.

As far as I know it is quite difficult to answer to your question.

D&D 3rd edition is based upon a system surprisingly called "D20 System" (taken from the type of dice used for playing).
I suppose the system is free (that''s what I''ve heard)... or at least there''s no way for them to prevent you to use an internal mechanism based on D20.

The problem is about everything surronding D20 which makes the real difference. Setting is of course copyrighted but unluckly for you skills and some advanced rules are copyrighted, too.

D&D is so unrealistic.

What would be better is a system where a hit kills instantly,
all you need to do is add more misses in the game.

What would also be good with a game with swords would be to throw you sword if the enemy has got a projectile weapon.

Maybe you could have many more skills.

I think the XP system in D&D is perpect for dice games but for computers it needs ditching. The more you you use a certain weapon you should improve here and then (albeit slowly) and have to wait to get to level 6 or whatever to improve your skills.

i dont care if i wont be able to get official recognition; i just want to use an established system...
how can you copyright skills and advanced rules?? i thought copyright was for concepts like a logo or something

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by SuperRoy
[EDIT] I don''t think they can copyright a rules system. Can they?

If it''s their rule system which they''ve written, then why not?
The rules are their intellectual property in the form of rulebooks, so must be copyrightable in the same manner as any other books or games

However, to address the original question - they have released the core of the D&D rules, the d20 system under an ''open gaming license'' - fairly similar to open source, which (to quote their FAQ) allows:
free, nonexclusive use of the game system at the heart of Dungeons & Dragons by anyone who wishes to do so, for both commercial and noncommercial works.

As far as I know (and I''ve not looked very long or hard, so don''t take it as fact!), that includes the basic concepts used by both D&D and the Star Wars games - combat, dice rolls, skill checks etc, but probably doesn''t include game specific features of D&D, which is a separate product based on the d20 game engine. If you start copying classes and skills directly, or copying text from the rulebooks then they might start getting heavy.

Have a look at http://www.wizards.com/D20 for FAQs and license agreements.

if i were to use original graphics, i would have a hard time imagining and drawing the hundred different weapons that i would want to make, so i''m gonna concentrate on melee combat (is that a good idea?) it''s also a 3d game, so it would be really hard (even though really nice looking) to render a lot of magic..

other than that i have no idea what kind of skills to use. i''ve played iwd and bg, but the copyright issues worry me.

What you need to do, is in the class of you Character make a skill for each weapon you are going to use and for each spell.

Every time you use a weapon or spell increase the weapon skill buy a certain value depending on whether it''s a hit or not.

Then the more skills you have the better change you have of hitting for that weapon or spell.

to calculate whether it''s a hit or not compare the skill level of the attacker with the speed or magic resistance or the defender.

hope I help.

jjjoe@www.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!