collisions

Started by
0 comments, last by hello_there 21 years, 6 months ago
you know in a game like unreal tournament how do they do collision detection? also how do you check collisions with a 3d triangle? also can someone please please show me some base code that opens a window and sets up and uses direct input. i've been trying to get direct input working in my game for a long time but it want work. [edited by - hello_there on October 20, 2002 4:22:09 PM]
____________________________________________________________How could hell be worse?
Advertisement
as far as the dinput goes, check out a little wrapper class I wrote, it''s on my website. here''s a little snippet I don''t really remember where it''s from, but it''s an example of ray-triangle(plane) intersection and finds the point where it intersects.

#define EPSILON 0.000001#define CROSS(dest,v1,v2) \          dest[0]=v1[1]*v2[2]-v1[2]*v2[1]; \          dest[1]=v1[2]*v2[0]-v1[0]*v2[2]; \          dest[2]=v1[0]*v2[1]-v1[1]*v2[0];#define DOT(v1,v2) (v1[0]*v2[0]+v1[1]*v2[1]+v1[2]*v2[2])#define SUB(dest,v1,v2)          dest[0]=v1[0]-v2[0]; \          dest[1]=v1[1]-v2[1]; \          dest[2]=v1[2]-v2[2]; /*We present a clean algorithm for determining whether a ray intersects a triangle. The algorithm translates the origin of the ray and then changes the base to yield a vector (t u v)T, where t is the distance to the plane in which the triangle lies and (u,v) represents the coordinates inside the triangle.*/intintersect_triangle(double orig[3], double dir[3],                   double vert0[3], double vert1[3], double vert2[3],                   double *t, double *u, double *v){   double edge1[3], edge2[3], tvec[3], pvec[3], qvec[3];   double det,inv_det;   /* find vectors for two edges sharing vert0 */   SUB(edge1, vert1, vert0);   SUB(edge2, vert2, vert0);   /* begin calculating determinant - also used to calculate U parameter */   CROSS(pvec, dir, edge2);   /* if determinant is near zero, ray lies in plane of triangle */   det = DOT(edge1, pvec);#ifdef TEST_CULL           /* define TEST_CULL if culling is desired */   if (det < EPSILON)      return 0;   /* calculate distance from vert0 to ray origin */   SUB(tvec, orig, vert0);   /* calculate U parameter and test bounds */   *u = DOT(tvec, pvec);   if (*u < 0.0 || *u > det)      return 0;   /* prepare to test V parameter */   CROSS(qvec, tvec, edge1);    /* calculate V parameter and test bounds */   *v = DOT(dir, qvec);   if (*v < 0.0 || *u + *v > det)      return 0;   /* calculate t, scale parameters, ray intersects triangle */   *t = DOT(edge2, qvec);   inv_det = 1.0 / det;   *t *= inv_det;   *u *= inv_det;   *v *= inv_det;#else                    /* the non-culling branch */   if (det > -EPSILON && det < EPSILON)     return 0;   inv_det = 1.0 / det;   /* calculate distance from vert0 to ray origin */   SUB(tvec, orig, vert0);   /* calculate U parameter and test bounds */   *u = DOT(tvec, pvec) * inv_det;   if (*u < 0.0 || *u > 1.0)     return 0;   /* prepare to test V parameter */   CROSS(qvec, tvec, edge1);   /* calculate V parameter and test bounds */   *v = DOT(dir, qvec) * inv_det;   if (*v < 0.0 || *u + *v > 1.0)     return 0;   /* calculate t, ray intersects triangle */   *t = DOT(edge2, qvec) * inv_det;#endif   return 1;}  

I don''t claim this code, but I did use it to write my collision detection stuff. hope it helps.

My Homepage
How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they just declare drakness as a new standard.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement