Multi-threading

Started by
10 comments, last by Chimaera 21 years, 6 months ago
quote:Original post by Digicube
From what I''m learning in my OS course, the purpose of having multi-threading/multi-processing is to minimize CPU idle time, or, in other words, maximum CPU time.

But it is also to allow a sequential programming model rather than a polling one, allowing for greater modularity and therefore an improvement in potential software quality.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
Advertisement
One specific use of threads could be to load data that should be used later with otherwise unused processor cycles. I''ve heard that Diablo II used that to get smooth transition between maps.

Threading in games used for real-time stuff I don''t belive in (But that''s IMHO), because in games you generally want to get every frame in perfect sync. E.g. if you''re using on thread for physics and one for ai, that means that physics can at some point lag behind and the ai get faulty data..

-Luctus
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement