Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DalTXColtsFan

My first somewhat meaningful demo!

DalTXColtsFan    122
I know you''re not supposed to just come in here and blatantly brag but I just finished my first OpenGL program that''s more than a spinning cube and I''m all proud and stuff - I feel like I reached a milestone. It''s at http://home.att.net/~tennisman1/ACity.zip, and it''s a Visual C++ 6.0 workspace. I use CString and CFile classes for debugging - if you get an assert validation, do a search for "coordinates.open" and check the filename. All it is is just 4 rows of 6 buildings and 3 robots that I borrowed *coughstolecough* from Game Programming with OpenGL walking up and down the streets. You can move around in it and stuff using the cursor keys. You''ll see quickly that I still have a long way to go, but it''s something! I have 2 other demos in the works that I should have up within the next couple weeks - one combines OpenGL with MFC by means of a PropertySheet dialog where you can experiment with materials and lighting by clicking spin controls up and down, another is a multiple-document-type, multiple-view type MFC application where one document type implements 3D views as part of OpenGL. You can be sure I''ll be back to brag about those too! Enjoy, and I certainly welcome any feedback. (P.S. I''m not really this cocky I''m just in a silly mood right now! )

Requires MFC, which I don't have apparently. I probably elected not to install it when installing VC++. Anyway, you should mention it requires this

~CGameProgrammer( );

EDIT: Oh, you did. Well say it in 36-pt font so dumbasses like myself notice it.

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on October 21, 2002 5:45:59 AM]

DalTXColtsFan    122
quote:
Original post by CGameProgrammer
Requires MFC, which I don''t have apparently. I probably elected not to install it when installing VC++. Anyway, you should mention it requires this

~CGameProgrammer( );

EDIT: Oh, you did. Well say it in 36-pt font so dumbasses like myself notice it.

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on October 21, 2002 5:45:59 AM]

Was that ~CGameProgrammer thing a remark of the destruction of the game programmer profession? .

My favorite "geek joke" is to tell someone they''re as useless as an unoverridden virtual function.

I guess my VC++ experience has been so exclusively MFC I can''t even imagine life without it! My bad.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Create a release-version of it so it works on "normal" systems; I tried, but got a runtime-error, you must be enabling some bizarre switches.

DalTXColtsFan    122
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Create a release-version of it so it works on "normal" systems; I tried, but got a runtime-error, you must be enabling some bizarre switches.

I''ll assume you''re actually asking me to instead of telling me to . Just kidding!

I have the evaluation version of InstallShield Express at home, I''ll try something with that, I don''t think just compiling a release EXE is enough because I use MFC.

As far as switches, I haven''t even started learning all that stuff. I guess I''d better!