Discussing the possibility that Madden (EA Sports) is a poorly designed game...

Started by
9 comments, last by benfinkel 21 years, 5 months ago
quote:Original post by beantas
I haven''t had a chance to play the new 2003 version yet but I think the idea of Freestyle is great. But if it''s just tacked on over the pre-existing gameplay of Live 2002, I still won''t touch that series. It''s nice to have control over your one-on-one moves like that but there are lots of other important aspects that Live would have to improve on to beat NBA2K3.

I''m sorry to say, but NBA2K3 looks like crap compared to NBA Live 2003, and I don''t just mean graphics. Live''s FreeStyle control system gives you a lot of direction over your players movements and allow you to execute so many moves in so many scenarios - on both offense and defense. It beefs up the one-on-one/isolation aspects of the game in a big way.

Using the second analog stick, the gamer can triple threat, execute a variety of specific crossovers, really work the post, hustle for the ball, pull off some insane dunks - just about everything that makes basketball games fun. The game overall is also fast and fluid, and the new "specialty" indicators are a very cool and powerful visual aid for deciding how to run the break (next to the name/number identifiers with exceptional skills in a given category is an iconic indicator - a foot with wings for players with hops, a lock for guys with stellar D and I believe a "3" for long-range bombers). The playcalling is also much improved, and the game looks simply gorgeous next to anatomically-incorrect NBA2K3.

Add to the mix a hot soundtrack and lots of fan goodies like old school jerseys - NBA Live 2003 is the best basketball game currently available, period. This may sound like EA product hype, but the game is that good. Yes, it has flaws and shortcomings, but it''s the best thing out there.

Sorry for the topic-drift.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement