Books on Writing for Comics/Graphic Novels

Started by
3 comments, last by sunandshadow 21 years, 5 months ago
I just finished the DC guide to writing for comics, and while it wasn't great, it was better than these books usually are. Certainly worth checking out of the library, if not buying. Anyone got recommendations for other books on this topic? Urgh, spelling... X_x [edited by - sunandshadow on October 21, 2002 1:14:31 PM]

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
You might already have this in your extensive collection, so I don''t know if this helps or not, but Scott McCloud wrote Understanding Comics, and it has some specific passages on writing for comics, and the entire work is about what, how and why comics convey, which would likely rule out what not to compose.

Addy

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

quote:Original post by adventuredesign
You might already have this in your extensive collection, so I don''t know if this helps or not, but Scott McCloud wrote Understanding Comics, and it has some specific passages on writing for comics, and the entire work is about what, how and why comics convey, which would likely rule out what not to compose.

Addy

...err, rule in

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

Actually yes, I do have that in my extensive collection. Marvelous book, I just didn''t mention it because it only has a small secton on writing. What I can''t wait for is for How To Draw Manga to put out their book on the subject - I emailed asking them, and they said they have one planned!

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

My friend has been researching comics for years. Yes, I said researching. He''s written a few I believe, but he''s more of a "Comics Expert". If you''re interested I could put you in touch with him, he''s read practically every book ever written on the subject and knows virtually everything there is to know about it. Write me at the address provided in my Sig if you want to chat with him, I''m not gonna publicly throw out his E-mail address for just anyone to spam.

Brian Lacy
Smoking Monkey Studios

Comments? Questions? Curious?
brian@smoking-monkey.org

"I create. Therefore I am."
---------------------------Brian Lacy"I create. Therefore I am."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement