Is there something wrong with me?

Started by
82 comments, last by MSW 21 years, 5 months ago
Granted - in Java, you are not required to instaniate any objects. But you are still required to have a minimum of one class. Then you can put your static methods within that. But in order to access those methods, a person still needs to have some concept of scoping, which is not a light topic for a newb.

God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him...
Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Landsknecht
But in order to access those methods, a person still needs to have some concept of scoping, which is not a light topic for a newb.

It''s usually not a problem. I''m a TA in a Java class, and even the most clueless students get this right by copying some example in the book.

Faith. n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. -- Ambrose Bierce
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
It''s usually not a problem. I''m a TA in a Java class, and even the most clueless students get this right by copying some example in the book.

Faith. n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. -- Ambrose Bierce

Right. So, copying an example straight from the book show they have learned the topic... how? I also know several folks that did that in my programming classes. Guess what? They didn''t pick up squat. Exactly because all they ever had or were expected to do was copy chunks out of the book. That is not teaching, sorry.

God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him...
Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
Sigh... You''re just not getting it, are you? Whether they have to write "public class SomeClass{" or just "int main()" doesn''t matter to a newbie. They don''t really understand it anyway. Whether they are doing C++, Java, Python or Visual Basic - the first programs will always be copied straight from the book and modified.
Your argumentation is wearing very thin by now.

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement