Sprites for my rpg

Started by
7 comments, last by entivore 21 years, 5 months ago
I''ve given up on trying to find a sprite artist, so I''m going at it with my own bad self, haha. Tell me what I''m doing wrong, mmkay? I''ve got the heads about where I like em, except some of the hair styles could be improved. The hardest part is the legs and feet, as you can see most of the sprites have the same legs/feet just slightly recolored. Let me tell you a little about the characters too. The girl with purple hair is named Jewela. She''s the main character in the 2nd half of the rpg. The yellow haired girl is her mother, Julie, while she''s young. A character from the 1st half of the rpg. The eccentric looking white haired dark skinned woman is Palamar. A character who appears in both parts. The blue haired woman is a rather b*tchy character in the 2nd half of the rpg named Eleyon. She uses people and secretly thinks horrible horrible things while pretending to be all fond of the guys. The orange haired angel winged skank woman is Solsarius, a villian.
*Only in darkness can one truely shine*
Advertisement
looking good entivore.. you should be able to get some more artists
once your engine is complete and you''ve got something to show off to em.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Personally, I would add black or dark-coloured lines between the colour changes to add a bit of definition. I know some people don''t like this though.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
Thanks for the replies. I''ll try some darker outlines, though if it doesn''t end up looking good it may not get posted or mentioned again.

Oh yeah, take a look at this? Isn''t it wierd/cute? hehe

This is my attempt at pixel art

Its a hippy puffing on a crackpipe

I worked really hard on the head for like 15 min in paint, but then I got bored. Then I went to go eat pizza. So all in all it rook me aobut 45 min to make this.
Can you beliefly descript how you draw it. I am also trying to draw for my own game.

Is it you draw on paper then scan it into PC and use 2D graphic software to color it ?
Me likey! I always have problems drawing feet also, but yours look really good. So is your RPG in an all female world or what? Not that that is a bad thing...
bugawk?
Actually there are more male characters than female ones. I just haven''t figured out how to draw a male character that looks right yet.

When I draw, I basically use MS Paint and Irfanview. I look at two images at the same time (one already done, and one I''m trying to make) and use that to see what I need to make things look like. Once I get something looking right I tend to do a bit of cut and pasting as well. In the case of the Phoenix, I looked at various pictures of a Phoenix while drawing it. It was originally red, but I like this recolored black n green version too. I first made a rough outline of it, that kinda looked like a butterfly. I did the head first, then I colored in the body, got critique that it looked like a butterfly so I fixed the wings a little. Then got more critique on the wings and made them like they are now. It was basically modifying over and over again until it looked ok.

Originally someone drew Julie for me a long time ago (she looked different though, especially the head). As you can see, she has a bit more advanced pose than the girl sitting next to her, which I drew completely from scratch myself.

Btw that Hippy is eating all my cookies.

Here's a side-view

[edited by - entivore on October 31, 2002 3:47:26 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement