Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cosa-nostra

couple quick questions

Hey Well i decided to start programming again and i just wanna ask a couple questions i go straight to the point what would be the best language for a person who has never programmed before to learn from like some people i talk to have said start turbo pascal and work from there others said java but alot of people seem to use c++ im just wondering whether i should start with that..your thoughts will be appreciated and second of all what are some good books for programming and that a newbie could use and understand so i wont get lost etc i have a couple of those "learn in 21 days" but they suck so there any good books you recommend and last of all is it quite harder to game program then to program like obviously you would learn to program first ( i think) then move to game programming how hard would the transition be....sorry if my last question doesnt make sense im not sure how to put anyway thanks from the newb

I would go with C++, for the simple reason that it''s the industry standard for most commercial programming including games, and there''s bazillions of lines of source code for you to learn from out there. Windows games are what you will want to do, so unfortunately you''ll need to at least muddy the waters in that respect. However, you can just use a "wrapper" for the Window and from then on ignore it. Wrappers like that are available from many places, including NeHe (http://nehe.gamedev.net/). I can''t answer the rest of your question because that is as far as I got in your post before my eyes exploded.

Two words....

Punctuation.

Paragraphs.

RM.

sorry i know i should use punctuation etc thats what my english teacher always rights on my reports should use paragraphs and punctuation . Anyway are there any good books which people recommend for newbs like me for c++ that are in detail, but beginners can understand thanks your help is appreciated.

GT

Go to the Books & Software link at the top of page (under Resources) and go to the Languages section. Personally I''ve got C++ Primer Plus by Stephen Prata and think that it''s really good, but other people have different opinions. :D

*Scribble with excessive amounts of loops and curls*

I currently use the book C++ a beginner's guide by Herbert Schildt. I think that it is quite a good book and is fairly easy to learn from but everyone has different opinions. Try your local library if possible or spend some time looking through some C++ books at your local bookstore to see if you think that you can learn from them.

Joshua

[edited by - ja83 on October 21, 2002 7:59:43 PM]

I would recommend mastering English first, so that you can pose questions better Other than that, I recommend C++.

I have programmed with all of the above languages, if your a beginner, stay away from Java. I actually learned with Pascal, but I would recommend going straight to C++.

As for books I can strongly recommend Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus SE by Andre LaMothe, I am deep into DirectDraw at the moment and this guy is definatley on my wavelength. Great book, unfortunately youll need C++ experience before hand.

quote:
Original post by cosa-nostra
sorry i know i should use punctuation etc thats what my english teacher always rights on my reports should use paragraphs and punctuation

Rights ? If you want to be a programmer, clean up your act. A good programmer knows that writing readable code requires effort. Proper indenting, sensible variable names, proper design of functions and classes for readability and clean design.

If you program like your write your English, you will only get yourself into trouble. Get some discipline. The books you mention aren''t that bad, if you just say ''they suck'' because you don''t have the patience to study anything at all, give it another try or just give up.

OK, enough ragging on the guy about his english! Seriously, he deserves to be answered properly!

I personally am lucky enough to be currently doing a computer science degree at University, so I have lots of tools and reference materials available to me. What I would seriously recommend for you is to read ALL OF the beginners section. All of your questions are answered there, and there''s a list of books and tools that will be useful to you.

Some things to bear in mind though...

1) You''re going to need some serious patience. Game programming is not necessarily more complicated than regular programming, as in it all has to do with logic, but some of the APIs (like Windows, DirectX and OpenGL) are pretty complex, and can be hard to get into. If you stick with it, one day it''ll click

2) Don''t think you''ll be writing Quake 7 as your first program. Aim for something small like Breakout or Tetris to get you used to drawing things, sound, input and game logic, then expand a little.

3) You will need to constantly read around for updates to technology, good solutions to common problems, etc etc etc. It takes motivation to keep going, so if you are likely to drop it after a week, save yourself the week and don''t start.

Anywho, good luck with it - it''s pretty damn cool when you finally get something working and your friends can play it, even if it''s juat Pong

RM.

i''m sure he talks better english than you people can talk other languages ...

*Scribble with excessive amounts of loops and curls*