Quake map file licensing

Started by
5 comments, last by DBX 21 years, 5 months ago
As I understand it, the file format for Quake maps is unprotected so I can support it in my program. However, the tools used to create the maps (vis, bsp etc..) are protected and cannot be used to produce content for commercial software - which basically means that neither can the map format since you can''t create them in the first place. Thus my question is this: Are there any alternative tools to create the bsp map files (including lighting and vis data) which have no restrictions on their use?
Advertisement
I think that the qbsp/light/vis for q1 & 2 have been released under the GPL, so you''ll be able to use those. As far as i know, only q3 tools are still protected - although you won''t be allowed to use the Radient map editor since thats still covered. QuArK or Worldcraft (ugh) would be perfectly fine though.
Hmmmm.
How about Half-life maps and the Hammer editor (which I believe was once Worldcraft)
Read the EULA. Half-life''s Hammer editor and map compiling tools are for Half-life use only.

Use quark as an editor, and write a bsp compiler. It''s tough, but not _really_ tough.
quote:Original post by CheeseGrater
Read the EULA. Half-life''s Hammer editor and map compiling tools are for Half-life use only.

Yes, Hammer 3.4 is covered by a strict license, prohibiting use for anything except noncommercial Half-life maps.

Worldcraft 3.3 however has a very lax license. Using this for making maps is perfectly legal.
quote:Original post by Fidelio_

Yes, Hammer 3.4 is covered by a strict license, prohibiting use for anything except noncommercial Half-life maps.

Worldcraft 3.3 however has a very lax license. Using this for making maps is perfectly legal.

That matches my reading of both licenses as well. However, a couple of people have put the question to Valve, and they say that _all_ versions of worldcraft can only be used for half-life mapping, apparently excepting a special exemption for the torque engine. (Because it was the base for another Sierra game, maybe?)

Valve might be in the wrong on this, but I''d rather not go to court to find out.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Original post by Fidelio_

That matches my reading of both licenses as well. However, a couple of people have put the question to Valve, and they say that _all_ versions of worldcraft can only be used for half-life mapping, apparently excepting a special exemption for the torque engine. (Because it was the base for another Sierra game, maybe?)

Valve might be in the wrong on this, but I''d rather not go to court to find out.

Torque is the tribes 2 engine. Ive worked with it, and im actuaslly beefing it up the now.
*st0ned*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement