Idea

Started by
16 comments, last by beantas 21 years, 6 months ago
What if we picked a game that most of us have played and pick it apart design-wise bit by bit (sort of like how film people do a scene-by-scene analysis)? Analyze it and try to rationalize the design decisions made? Anyone up for it? I think this will provide some insights, or at least start up some heated discussions. Also, any suggestions as to what game to pick? [edited by - beantas on October 21, 2002 9:46:54 AM]
Advertisement
No One Lives Forever or Battlezone might be good choices.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Why not Pong? Consider the social implications of the bouncing ball... man I''m messed up.
Sounds cool, I guess we could start off with a small(ish) game that would be easy to do a complete in-depth look at it''s structure?
Half-Life is really well known, and generally considered to be a great game.
Great idea!

I, too, suggest we start off with a smaller game...something everyone has playied...Altho I playied Half-Life and many later games, I couldn''t complete them without cheating (shame on me ) especialy Half-Life as the FPS view tends to give me motion sickness
I''d love to talk about NOLF or Half-Life but a smaller game does fit the purpose for now. How about Super Mario Bros? I''m sure everyone has played it and knows it well.
Mario would be an almost ideal (there is, after all, no such thing as ideal) place to begin.

If at first you don''t succeed, call it version 1.0

SketchSoft | SketchNews
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Do you mean a game post-mortem? Because those are usually performed by the people who made the game...

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

quote:Original post by superpig
Do you mean a game post-mortem? Because those are usually performed by the people who made the game...

From what I''ve seen of post-mortems in Gamasutra, they focus more on a behind-the-scenes making-of, rather focusing on an analysis of the design that went into a game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement