Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bicubic Bezier Surface Patch Render

This topic is 5535 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Several different options... You can work with hardware support on some forms of hardware/API. You can also take advantage of things like shaders/vertex programs.

In terms of a software implementation, once you understand the fundamentals, you can probably easily code something based on your particular constraints. The patches are fairly easy to compute and "efficiency" really depends on your constraints and how you optimize. Having said that, I believe some of the gems books feature approaches, and Dave Rogers spends a little bit of time talking about efficient NURBS approaches in his book.

Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces"

Ok, and what of data structures for the patch ? I''ve surfed around but I haven''t found very much on the subject. What would be the most efficient way of storing the Bezier surface patch data ?
Thanks

The NURBS book by Dave Rogers talks a little about this, as well as all of the math. My book worries less about efficiency and more about clarity, although I believe you''ll have an easy time optimizing once you understand the math.

As far as storage, you could just store an array of control points. If the patch is static, you might not even need to retain the control points, just create the mesh and be done with it.

Also, the vertex shader implementation found in the "Real Time..." features a tradeoff between storage and computation. The vertices contain precomputed values that make the processing go faster.

It''s difficult to tell from your messages. Are you just getting started or are you looking for more complex info? Also, what are you actually trying to do?

Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces"