Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angrytofu

can anyone explain in one sentnce

pUnkOuter is a pointer to the outer IUnknown interface in a COM aggregation (where one interface contains an instance/pointer to another interface), from a reference point within the inner interface.

That is the most confusing sentence I have ever read.
Could I just say it is a pointer to a pointer?

I have tried yahoo search.. but no clear answer.. probably cause the concept is way over my head anyways

whose ever used punkouter anyways?

quote:
Original post by angrytofu
That is the most confusing sentence I have ever read.

You asked for it. It would appear that you''re biting off more than you can chew - trying to grapple with DirectX intricacies before you properly understand C++, for example. Just use the helper functions and libs for now (and learn the language!)

quote:
Could I just say it is a pointer to a pointer?

You could, but you''d be wrong.

quote:
whose ever used punkouter anyways?

Lots of people. Lots and lots.

What does punkOuter have to do with C++?
That''s entirely a COM thing.

BTW, all the directX interfaces do not support aggregation (in any previous version, and I doubt it was added in 9).

For the most part, you can assume that punkouter will be null (more specifically return CLASS_E_NOAGGREGATION if it''s not null) - if you''re creating a COM object (e.g. a DirectX interface) then just pass null for punkOuter.

quote:
Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
BTW, all the directX interfaces do not support aggregation (in any previous version, and I doubt it was added in 9).

Yes. I merely suspect that he came into contact with the variable while working with DirectX.

yeah it was some directX book or something. and just the name stuck in my head.

I know the main ideas of c++ and the basics of COM

when I hear aggregation I think of SQL aggregated comamnds.. so I am not sure what COM aggreagation even means.

But i recently became single so lately I have had no time for programming but I figure when things settle down directx9 will be out and I can try to make something

if anyone wants to play my last annoying game I made that is called AVOID THE BALLS it is here

www.punkouter.com