Which compiler?

Started by
15 comments, last by xiaoken 21 years, 5 months ago
I have got both Dev-CPP, and an intro/demo of Visual Studio.
If you have a book on Visual Studio, like i do, then that is probably the best.
But, as said before, Visual Studio is very complicated, without the book i wouldnt of had a clue, even now i get a compile error for:

#include <iostream>

Wich in Dev-CPP i dont. But anyway, in my opinion:

Dev-CPP is best for beginners and

Visual Studio is best once you''ve learnt from Dev-CPP, or if you have a book 2 help.

Now im only a beginner so as you can imagine ive not decided, only cos i have the problem with Visual Studio, otherwise id use that, its wat the book teaches.It''s "Game Programming All In One", good so far, only bout 10 pages through it though(out of over 952).
You should listen to me, im 'Special'.Or so my physiatrist said.
Advertisement
Dev-Cpp is very simple to use, most people have difficulty installing Borland compilers, you have to set the enviroment yourself and mess with the autoexec. I screwed up my enviroment, everytime I try to access it, it shuts down. I think I removed something inportant while cleaning up my computer. Anyway Dev-Cpp is very simple, does the job, easy to compile and run you code.

I recommend Dev-Cpp for all beginners, even if you have VC++. You will find Dev-Cpp easier and more comfortable to use.
Use Visual C++, the only other one I used was Quicy 99 (sucked) but if I can figer it out (I''m only 13),any one can figer it out. Sure it gives lots of dumb errors but I figered then out.
Nick
Nick
DJGPP was my very first C compiler. Ah, memories. There are times when I miss it.

I think I will use the ASCII fishtank contest as an excuse to play with it again.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Go look for a job and put Dev-CPP in your resume and see how far it helps you. No, job?? well, don't be so surprised.

You don't put 'Dev-CPP' nor 'MSVC' alone in your resume. First you put the platforms you can program for, the languages you know, the APIs you know, and only then, if relevant, the specific development tools.

Learning to use a tool is trivial, knowing what to do with one is more challenging.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]

[edited by - Fruny on October 22, 2002 11:23:58 PM]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Ive tried all of the mentioned compilers and only one works as I expected, was easy to setup and get working and compile my first program for FREE, and thats Dev-C++
Ive been using it for years.. Ill never switch!

I find this extremely amusing:
" 99% of ALL companies use it."
" Go look for a job and put Dev-CPP in your resume and see how
far it helps you. No, job?? well, don''t be so surprised."

HA! I wonder why that is? I dont know how this industry can "settle" on any "standard" software when there are so many choices and usually better or cheaper options at that. This argument is no different than comparing, say, Photoshop to Paint Shop Pro. Both can do EXACTLY the same things, either can fill an art portfolio or make textures for your game, but one is a really overpriced piece of bloatware, and the other is all the functionality at a fraction of the price. Yet "they" go with the crap app because "john carmack used it" or "in theory it can take advantage of two processors at once, erm, just not here.." whatever retarded reason that particular company has to buy and use $700 software and feel "professional". If you use less "mainstream" tools, you must not have the skills, right? I hate that.. You''re like the guy at this part-time job fair I went to, who told me I absolutely NEED heavy duty resume'' paper or Id have trouble finding work. I will never work for whiney bitches like that! (And yes I found a job despite that "problem")
Sometimes we must rage against the corporate machine, my brothers.. Adobe and Microsoft are not the only companies( or even the best companies) writing software for us..

"our point is lost in a blissfull abyss of ignorance."
You couldnt have said it better

this place is lame
I think the AP really *is* a retarded badger.

*ahem....*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement