Merits of CVS for solo projects

Started by
17 comments, last by OctDev 21 years, 5 months ago
quote:Original post by Dean Harding

SourceSafe can do all four of those things...

I have never used SourceSafe, so couldn't say for certain, but it's my understanding that SourceSafe is limited to VisualStudio type projects. Again, I have no direct experience, so that's only hearsay.

Either way, CVS is free, easy to setup (On *nix systems anyway). It makes great sense for people developing on more than one machine, or across different platforms, windows, linux, etc...

-- Aaron

(Edited for readability)

| HollowWorks.com | Rhott.com |

[edited by - mrhollow on October 22, 2002 1:04:31 PM]
Advertisement
quote:Original post by felonius

quote:Original post by Dean Harding
SourceSafe can do all four of those things...

No it cannot. If have used both system quite a bit at work.

In source safe rolling back and taking snapshots of old files can only happen for one file at a time. You cannot give one command and get a snapshot of the whole system unless you where so foresigted to actual put at label at that specific point of time. In Perforce you just give it a time and date and get the whole system (or a subset if you want to).

In source safe the performance will go down to a drag if you add graphic assets too. It will get so slow you regretted doing it. I tried. Many users of source safe, supplement it with ALien Brain from NxN for this exact reason (although the version of ALien Brain we tried here didn't scale well, but NxN claim to have fixed that issue in the meantime)

Temporary branches in source safe does not work very well. It is quite complicated to make a brnach and then get a copy of that in another working directory - and then work on both at the same time. When you do a branch in perforce you can have group of people work on that branch as nothing had happened and then later they can merge together as nothing had happened. SOurce safe is very good at the actual merging of cpp files though - better than perforce.

I think you've made his point. He never said it worked well. He just said it could do it. And so far as being foresighted enough to put a label on everything, in VSS, you should get into the habit of doing that on a daily basis. I agree it's not the best solution, but if it's the only one you have, you make it work.

Looking for an honest video game publisher? Visit www.gamethoughts.com

[edited by - mtaber on October 22, 2002 1:30:03 PM]
Shameless plug: Game Thoughts
quote:Original post by mrhollow
I have never used SourceSafe, so couldn''t say for certain, but it''s my understanding that SourceSafe is limited to VisualStudio type projects. Again, I have no direct experience, so that''s only hearsay.

Actually, SourceSafe comes with an SDK so application writers can access it. For instance, some Java IDE''s support it (I used it with Symantec Visual Cafe once). But portable? no. It Windows only, while CVS is truely multiplatform.

Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
quote:Original post by mrhollow
It makes great sense for people developing on more than one machine, or across different platforms, windows, linux, etc...

Thats a good point as well. Especially with the branching abilities, as it would be easy to develop different areas (for different platforms) from one base.

The Tyr project is here.
The Tyr project is here.
If you''ve got the cash, Clearcase the pretty much the strongest versioning system I''ve ever run across.

Does everything CVS does and more, with a better interface.
Also take a quick look at Subversion, which although not as mature a project as CVS has many touted advantages. Check it out here.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
I wouldn''t dream of doing any non-trivial project without source control anymore - whether alone or with others. I used to use CVS, but now I mostly use Subversion.

Faith. n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. -- Ambrose Bierce
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I''m curious--I''ve never actually used Subversion. What have your experiences with it been? In what ways is it superior to CVS?

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
It''s not really revolutionary compared to CVS - it''s mainly a lot of small things(and CVS was pretty good to begin with). Improvements over CVS:
- It versions directory trees, not just individual files
- You can rename files and directories(not really possible in CVS, unless you could access the raw repository files. This, for me, is the real showstopper with CVS) with full history.
- It''s designed from the ground upto be client-server - CVS used to be a set of shell scripts for RCS that got gradually rewritten in C, with network support tacked on.
- SVN won''t let you commit a conflicted file.
- SVN is more intelligent when it comes to binary files
- Branches and tags are very straightforward in SVN(or so they say - I never did a branch in CVS)

Faith. n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. -- Ambrose Bierce
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement