The Game Engine

Started by
4 comments, last by Boertjie 21 years, 6 months ago
I am doing a project on the gaming industry, and since I am not very familiar with the topic myself....I need your guys'' help. What exactly is a Game Engine? What does it include? And why does it take so looooong to create a new engine for a game? "Pannekoek, Poitjie Kos, ''''n Bier en lekker Braai Vleis!"
"Pannekoek, Poitjie Kos, 'n Bier en lekker Braai Vleis!" http://veld.cjb.net
Advertisement
A game engine could be said to be a general abstraction of all the games rendering and logic functions that is not specific to a certain game. It basically, is the game once you take away all the graphics, sounds, music, story, scripts and game-related code components. It can handle things such as networks, graphic rendering, AI. For example, by taking a game engine you can rebuild an entire new game that looks completely different whereas the underlying technology is completely the same or very simular. Its hard to exactly describe what a game engine is these days, but in the 3d world it is often called a 3d engine and is responsible for loading levels, rendering each frame, handing user input, and processing game data files and game information supplied to the engine to describe the game.
Endless discussion of definition "Game Engine" to come....

PS. Seems like a fair good def to me.

[edited by - Prototype on October 22, 2002 6:07:10 PM]
Eh, well said. And a good reference thread in this day of no searching.

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

An engine''s responsibilities would also include collision detection, object culling, and "physics" simulation.

It''s "physics" because you don''t actuall have to follow Newtonian mechanics in a game - for instance, you could use Cartoon Physics.

quote:
And why does it take so looooong to create a new engine for a game?

Because it''s a duanting task that has soft real-time requirements.

It doesn''t take that long either - we''re talking of about 2-8 man-years of software development time depending on the complexity of the project.
WinXP consumed something like 5,000.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
quote:Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
Cartoon Physics.

*Laughs out loud* ... twice.

Domine non secundum peccata nostra facias nobis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement