Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

About my Vertex Buffer structure

This topic is 5535 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I want to change the way I use vertex buffers in my engine. Now, I am creating a lot of VB (one for every objet), and when I go render, I have to change a lot of time between obtects per frame. Now I want to change this and do it like this: I will only use 2 VB: - 1 STATIC VB holding all my MAP vertices, and 1 DYNAMIC index buffer to index the geometry. - 1 DYNAMIC VB created for 4000 vertices to hold all the other meshes (every thing that is not the map). Before render each frame, I will lock and fill up the VB with the vertices of the mesh I am going to render. the FVF for each type of VB would be: // for the static VB (only for the map) struct D3DCUSTOMVERTEX_map { float x,y,z; float u,v; float s,t; }; // without normals and with 2 pairs of texture coordinates for the lightmaps. // For the DYNAMIC VB (for the other geometry) struct D3DCUSTOMVERTEX_obj { float x,y,z; float nx,ny,nz; float u,v; }; So, I''ll change only between 2 VB and 2 FVF per frame (and not per object per frame) What do you think about this?? Thanx.