The complete guide to Game Audio?

Started by
3 comments, last by kobra 21 years, 6 months ago
Have anyone read the book "The complete guide to Game Audio" by Aaron Marks? Is it any good?
Advertisement
It is quite good, and if you are serous about game audio, you should probably read it, if only for the fact that everybody else in the audio world has already read it!
To be more helpful, I''ll tell you this: this book is mostly about the business of game audio, ie, knowing how to work your way around the things that most of us don''t want to worry about, like contracts and such. But make no mistake about it, even though there are perhaps two chapters pertaining to the actual audio creation process, you''ll find yourself valuing the entire book if you are serious about the game audio industry. I ordered it without a second thought, expecting something more of a technical giude, and though I was surprised by the proliferance of business-oriented information, I still loved the book.
For those who are interested:

Here''s a section of the book:
http://www.mcgraw-hill.co.uk/mh_community/images/1578200830.pdf

And the contents:

Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Essential Skill Set and Tools Needed for the Job
Chapter 3: Getting Organised and Ready for Business
Chapter 4: Finding and Getting the Jobs
Chapter 5: The Bidding Process
Chapter 6: Making the Deals
Chapter 7: Working with Clients
Chapter 8: Creating Music for Games
Chapter 9: Sound Design
Chapter 10: Blending the Total Soundscape
Chapter 11: Understanding Game Platforms
Chapter 12: Understanding PC/Mac Sound Formats
Chapter 13: Programming Sound into Games
Chapter 14: From the Developer''s Perspective
Chapter 15: Conclusion

Personally I haven''t read it yet, but I have found most of my information online reading interviews and such from industry veterans.

I think the most important thing in looking for, applying for and completing a game contract is:

1) Contacts
2) Confidence in your ability & skills to do what you propose.
3) Portfolio & Demos
4) Creating good customer relations.
5) Working to budget, and completing quality audio to specifications.

As far as bidding goes, most game companies I work with have quite limited budgets. If you''re a beginner don''t go in all guns blazing asking for mega bucks, you won''t get it. Figure out what is important to you, the money or the music. For me it''s still the music and the buzz. If you know you''re top shit in what you can do then of course by all means bid a high amount, if your demo submission is anything to go by and the company can afford it, then they will pay (within reason).

Hope this helps.

Audio Artist
www.GroovyAudio.com
Game Audio Professional
www.GroovyAudio.com

[edited by - kobra on October 22, 2002 9:56:41 PM]
Thanks for the info. I have ordered it now.
Tally hooo !!

------------------------
Check out some of my music:
www.tublenco.com
-------------------------

[edited by - kobra on October 22, 2002 9:59:26 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement