How do I overload [] operator such that......

Started by
9 comments, last by Robbo 21 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I''m writing a generic matrix implementation for an artificial neural network. I want to overload the subscript operator [], such that I can write: Matrix [j] = Value; or Value = Matrix [j]; I know I can overload [], but how does &#111;ne go about overloading [][] or even [][][]!??? Thanks for any help you can give. </i>
Advertisement
You make that operator[] return a row (or column) to that matrix. That row is also an object, which has overloaded []. Then the second [] will access the row''s overloaded [].

I think it goes like this:

matrix[n][m] == (matrix.operator[](n)).operator[](m)

So the matrix.operator[](n) must return an object for which [] is overloaded.. Eh, I don''t think I''m going to say it third time
[] will have to return some object that can have [] called on it.

mtl is a generic matrix library
boost has got some new stuff in it for BLAS

Oh - thanks mate - I think what I really wanted was the MTL - so much easier to use this than have to write my own.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Or use operator():

float Matrix::operator() (int nRow, int nCol){   return m_fMat[nRow][nCol];}Matrix m;float f;f = m(1,2);  

HTH, Steve

Steve
DirectX Programmer
Soon to be the new Bill Gates
Member of the Unban Mindwipe Society (UMWS)
Using programming tricks to get a nice looking [][] operator is the height of stupid. Is the extra inefficiency and complexity introduced really worth not using the () operator?

If you want syntactic sugar, use Perl or something. In C++, it very often leads to bad, bad, bad code.

Don''t listen to me. I''ve had too much coffee.
You could just overload [] in the matrix class, and then overload the comma operator in some helper class to get Matrix[2,3,4]. Heh, finally a reason to use operator comma.
quote:Original post by Brobanx
You could just overload [] in the matrix class, and then overload the comma operator in some helper class to get Matrix[2,3,4]. Heh, finally a reason to use operator comma.

Pointless. Inconsistent. Violates intentionality (what does that syntax convey to the reader of the code, uninformed of your overload but familiar with C++?)

Just use operator (). It''s quick, efficient and conveys intent quite well (function object-like syntax).
can you overload operator, for ints?

if you can''t... do as the ints do.
operator,() must have at least one argument of a user-defined type.
daerid@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement