Triangle Lists or Strips

Started by
1 comment, last by vrihai 21 years, 5 months ago
This question mite have already been posted, but.. Is it faster to use a big indexed triangle list for a high poly object and draw it with a single call to DrawPrimitive or to triangle strips and drawing it with multiple Drawprimitive calls? Some people say strips are faster, but others say that DX is better off with lesser DrawPrimitive calls. Also, are indexed triangle strips slower than non-indexed ones?
Advertisement
I would also like to know. It seems to me that you use index buffers for specific jobs, and triangle strips for regular jobs.. but I have no idea.

¬_¬
indexed triangle strips are considered the best - and they can be quite fast. however, in other instances indexed triangle lists are better. it really just depends on the model and the stripping algorithms one uses. the best thing to do (but the one which also takes a bit more time) is to test out both with a model. whichever one performs better, use that approach for that particular model. therfore you end up with a hybrid draw pipe (at least on the call to DrawPrim). some models will be indexed strips and others will be indexed lists.

however, relating to your question of calls to DrawPrim - always minimize that! that call can be a huge performance bottleneck. the less calls the better.

-tim
-tim

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement