Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which book to get?

This topic is 5533 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m familiar with basic DirextX and am looking for an advanced book. In the books section there are several books listed, and I''d like to know which you''d recommend... "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Advanced 3-D Game Programming with DirectX" or even "Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX"? Or another one? ------------------------------ "Reality is nothing, perception is everything!" - First Wizard Zeddicus Zu''l Zorander

If you are familier with directX, then I would not recommend Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX. It''s really good if you want to know the basics of Direct3D, Direct Input and Direct Sound. Not sure what book you should get though.. just though I''d tell you what book not to get

¬_¬

It all depends on what you want to learn. I''m sort of bias about my own book, but unlike what Fuzztrek says, it does teach more than basics. It shows a good deal on every component of DirectX - DXGraphics, DXAudio (DSound & DMusic), DPlay, and DInput. Aside from DX, it does teach about making Role-Playing Games. It has topics that relate well to other game genres as well, as the book shows how to use quadtree, octrees, simple scripting engines, character control, etc. Check out my web site for a list of topics and a link to the full table of contents.

If you want to learn advanced DX techniques, then there''s little books on the market. Real Time Rendering is good, as is ShaderX. Aside from those, I don''t think you''ll find any books on advanced DX stuff. Pretty soon, my newest book on animation w/DirectX will be out...

The real question is what do you want to learn. If you want to learn API-specific techniques like shaders, then my book or ShaderX might make sense. If you want to become more familiar with the overall theory, then other books might make sense. If you want to learn game-specific skills, Jim''s book makes sense.

If you are comfortable with the basic skills, you might want to spend some time paging through a bunch of the books to see what fits your needs best. There are pros and cons to all of them.

Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces"

Jim, about your new book you mentioned, is there anywhere we can get more info about it or do we have to wait until its out? My copy of "Programming Role-Playing Games With DirectX" will be here tomorrow :D