Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

funky std::stringstream problem

This topic is 5530 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a function that huffman compresses one stream to another: void HuffmanCompress(std::istream& istrm, std::ostream& ostrm); If the output stream is a file, it all performs as it should:

std::ofstream ofile;
ofile.open("output.dat", std::ios::binary);
HuffmanCompress(someother_stream, ofile);

If the output stream is a std::stringstream, however, it doesnt actually write anything to it:

std::stringstream str;
HuffmanCompress(someother_stream, str);

Inside HuffmanCompress() i just use the istream::read and ostream::write() member functions - the code is pretty complicated so i wont bother with the details. Anyway, my question is am i missing some important difference between file streams and string streams that would cause this effect? I''ve tried std::strstream (yuck) instead of a stringstream, but that doesnt work either.

quote:
Original post by Stoffel
We need the declaration of the function. I believe it should be:
void HuffmanCompress (const std::istream &in, std::ostream &out);

It was in my second sentance of my original post. Here it is again:

void HuffmanCompress(std::istream& istrm, std::ostream& ostrm);

At any rate, you cant have a const std::istream& and expect to call istream::read() on it anyway - its not a const member function.

Ah ha! Found the problem. At one point in my code i was seekp()''ing ahead of the eof marker, which by the looks of it is allowed with files but not with stringstreams