Take a look at this, I want to know how?

Started by
3 comments, last by Bad_Maniac 21 years, 5 months ago
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Vsys+Gaiden in the screenshot, there are trails of smoke, coming from some of the projectiles. if you downöoad and try the game, wich is absolutely excellent by the way. You will see it clearer. I want to figure out how they make those trails, particles, alpha blended comes to mind, kind of what I am doing, only, HOW do you make the particles look like that? any ideas please? the game is freeware so don''t worry. It''''s nice to be important, but it''''s more important to be nice.
Don't we all still remember and miss the day we plotted our first pixel?
Advertisement
You can try blending...

drawing the missle/missle smoke over and over again... with the alpha starting out at zero, and going to 100 when you reach your missle...

I think thats the technique your looking for...
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
They use textured strips, not particles, to create a trail.
basically, you ''drop'' points behind some object as it travels through space, then you create a tri-strip between the points of some width. Like this:

+...+...+...+ (object) traveling -->

Where the + are the points along the strip & the ''.'' are the space between the point samples.

To build a tri-strip from this:

|---|---|---|
+.\.+.\.+.\.+ (object) traveling -->
|---|---|---|

where the |,-, & \ are the lines of the tri-strip.
Uhm, software Direct Draw is what I''m using... any good ideas?

It''''s nice to be important, but it''''s more important to be nice.
Sorry to *BUMP* my own message, but I just want to know if anyone can help me figure out how to do this in DirectDraw 2D

The tri strip is very clear to see when you are aware of it, and are really looking. How could I achieve it in 2D? I am quite sure there isn''t any hardware method.

Modifying a breshenham line algorithm comes to mind, but modifying it how? any help?

thanks.

//Martin

It''''s nice to be important, but it''''s more important to be nice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement