• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cuchulainn

Objects coord-> World Coord

This topic is 5747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I ripped out the code out of the Meshes tutorial example and changed it. I am making a game and i want to be able to load all my objects from x files and position and orientate them at design time in my world. I mutated the mesh tutorial code so that i created an object class and had it so that you could have multiple objects displayed. I have an array of objects now that i can just type in the filename into their filename variable and they load. I did this b4 in VB and i managed to get them in a position and orientate them. I''m using VC++ now and i want to do the same thing. What i did in VB was i extracted all of the points out of all my meshes, make translation and rotation matrixes in correspondance with their location/orientation and concatenated the matrix''s and transformed every object vertex by them. This worked and i could position each object in my scene separately. Currently i can display as many objects as i want in my prg but they all are at 0,0,0 coordinates. I wanted to do the same thing in VC++ and things were a bit more complicated. It then hit me that there had to be an easier way using D3DX to do this - the transformation from local coordinates into world coordinates. All games do it - i must be missing out on something real simple. Could you please explain to me how this whole thing works.

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!