GUI DESIGN 800x600 OR 1280x1100

Started by
3 comments, last by kderington 21 years, 6 months ago
We are designing a board game that really needs a 12x12 grid to play on, but in 800x600 (50x50pixel squares) the board would require scrolling which is not an option. What screen size is the standard to develop for? This game is not graphic intensive so it will not be requiring hard core animation routines, etc. Thanks for any input that you might have. Keith Derington Archangel Studios www.archangelstudios.com Come see our upcoming game Skada''Kael!
Advertisement
Oo, interesting one - first off i''d say that 50x50 is slightly odd tile sizes and you might want to consider whether you could manage with 32x32 or bump yourself up to 64x64. Second thought would be that if possible use DX/openGL so you can make your GUI layout independant of the resolution, then everybodys happy

If you''re stuck/determined to go with pixel based layout, i''d say that 800x600 is probably standard for the average computer out there now - although you''ll be surprised how many are still running lower res. 1280x1100 is waaaaay too high for a game to be asking as a minimum, even 1152x864 is getting slightly silly as a minimum resolution. Is it that essencial that there''s no scrolling? You could always compromise and have a lower res mode w/ scrolling or smaller tiles and a non-scrolling board possibly with larger graphics for people that want to go to higher res.

Also bear in mind that unless you''re fullscreen people might not want to fill up practically all of their monitors real estate.
In web design, the standard resolutions are 800x600 and 1024x768 (not as common). I''d say that you would want your GUI to be 800x600 compatible.

¬_¬
Scale the tiles to 25x25 (at which point you could even do 640x480) or so on screen and then on a mouse over show the tile fullsize.

Otherwise you''re going to be stuck scrolling.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Tiberian Merchandise!!!! | GameShot ]
Thanks everyone for the great responses!

I will let you all know how it goes!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement