Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2D game programming

This topic is 5534 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Do u think Visual Basic can handle most of 2D graphic effect and animations when using DirectX? I think that enough for making most 2D games by using VB + DirectX. And how u guys think about that?

From what I understand, calling DirectX from VB is fairly quick, it''s the amout of "behind-the-scenes" stuff you want to be able to do and make it quick. If you are making something simple like Solitare, I would say VB would be excellent, Tetris clone, VB should work fine. If you want to make something akin to Diablo II then your target machine had better be something like a 1.8 Ghz computer.

Why bother to optomize, you''re writing in Visual Basic!

VB has proven sufficient for my 2D sidescroller space shooter. It''s not done yet, but most of the game functionality (bar sound) has been added. It uses DX7 and VB6.
If you''re comfortable with VB, then I say that its worth at least a go. :-P
Crow.

Go for it man! I did a little zelda game in VB 3.0 6 years ago (with GDI). I slso did a 2d game with delphi (again with GDI). If it is possible to do it with GDI, you''ll never have problem to do it with DirectX. And I don''t think that you''ll have to optimize. Of course it depends of which computer you use (mine was a p 166, now a pIII 450)

Well, i say go for gold man. Check this site out, www.truevision3d.com its a game engine that uses dx8 and visal basic(although there are other languages supported also, ie delpi, .net, c++ i think) go check it out its fairly fast since the dll''s are written and compiled with c++ so that makes it fairly fast and its really easy to get something simple up and running.

It doesnt hurt to look