The Official Radeon Ad Thread

Started by
553 comments, last by Myopic Rhino 20 years, 4 months ago
quote:Original post by wild_pointer
I think it''s decent of you to even care what people think of the ads, I personally have better things to worry about than the 2-3 minutes of my life spent looking at goo whenever i browse gamedev.

*sigh* Nobody worries about the ad. Nobody -really- thinks their lives are ruined. People are just stating that it''s an annoying ad.
Advertisement
Free things need to get revenue from somewhere to survive. Advertising is a simple way to do this. Personally i don''t think it is that annoying. It''s the way the internet is evolving. Bandwidth costs money and advertising supplies that money. The advertisers want to be seen so they need to use methods to be seen. So everytime you whiners see this ad, don''t think "AH! AN AD! I''M SO INCREDIBLY MAD AT THIS!!" , instead think "Hmm, good thing that is there or else this free site that I love so much would not be able to exist. Yay for this ad, this ad is a hero!"

"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD
"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD
quote:Original post by iNfuSeD So everytime you whiners see this ad...

No need to start calling names, dude.

I would not mind if it didn't come up EVERY SINGLE TIME! Displaying the ad once per visit to the site is enough and perfectly reasonable and gets its point across in my opinion. But every single page I go to pops that ad up and it drives me batty! Advertising is fine but this is so obtrusive. The more it pisses me off, the less likely I'll buy anything from the advertiser.

Is there a reason why it needs to be displayed on every page?

[edited by - beoch on October 22, 2002 7:22:00 PM]
I was a little annoyed when I first saw it, but I immediately understood the necessity..

I agree with others that it just makes ATI look bad..I hope they realize how much they hurt their credibility pulling stuff like this..I''d much rather see a flashy tech demo that shows off the actual product than be _distracted_from_what_was_doing_ to see their ad.

But hey, if they''re willing to pay actual money to lose customer support I guess that''s their business, not mine..I''m glad it''s going to GDNet and not someone else..

"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
The ad certainly wants the readers not to escape...At first it was only placed on the front page, then as they know that lots of people go straight to the forums they placed the ad on the forums main page too... 2 months bearing with it is hard. We might not buy a Radeon, but we will have nightmares for sure with it.
I don''t mind spending a few seconds (someone said 10 seconds? Is it really THAT long? looking at an ugly ATI advertisement. Plus it supports GDNET, and since I am unable to donate money, I''m glad I can help :D

As long as the site doesn''t become flooded w/ 20 popup ads, I think we will all survive.
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
If we all promise to buy a radeon, will you take the ad away?

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

I can certainly understand the need for this ad, but I still feel it has been taken too far.

I only noticed the ad when I used an older machine running IE the other day, and due to the fact it was a cyrix, the thing would take a good 30-40 seconds to play... Which became annoying extremly quickly (watching verticle redraw always driver me insane)... It''s just my normal browser of choice is Opera, and it prevents this kind of stuff (and the popups and large side ad it seems), so I would not have seen it otherwise.

It''s depressing in a way, though. I''d expect the majority of people who have actually visited ati.com because of those ads are mostly likly where they have missed clicked the close button (I managed this a good 5 times at least), so the marketing division at ati are likly going to be seeing much higher numbers from the ad than those who genuinly clicked the link... And enivitably get the idea that the ad was a success..

Recently, I feel ati have improved their image alot. I feel that they are now the ones pushing quality and respectability, yet things like this can quite easily destroy a reputation like that...

<-- smile :-)

Project-X
I don''t get the add, but an error message pops up. Either my firewall is blocking it or IE5 is just not good enough for it. I don''t care enough to check it out.

At least with banners I could see the ad. I think their reason for this type of advertisement will have the same effect as using a standard banner. While it does grab attention, and will generate more clicks, it will at the same time annoy more people decresing the chance for clicks. Or, like me, just not work at all. However, I am sure they got ''market people'' on it, that did their little analysis and determined goo brings in more hits than a banner.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement