The Official Radeon Ad Thread

Started by
553 comments, last by Myopic Rhino 20 years, 4 months ago
Just a thought. As much as many people are saying that they dislike the ad, in a way, it is ads like this which are going to keep things going (as has been stated). What I''m fearing is that potential advertisers will be discouraged from giving GameDev.net their hard earned money keeping this site alive. Sure, we have got this ad taking care of things for a while, but as has been stated, it is only temporary.

Personally, I think a good method might be to show a full page ad for a couple of seconds and then forward us the the real GameDev.net page and that is all we will see of the ad for the day. With my limited webpage knowledge, it could be made so it would work with all browsers, without any plug ins as long as people were allowing cookies... actually, maybe that would pose a problem. Bah, what would I know

If you weigh up what we are paying with what we are receiving, we have a pretty sweet deal. Before you go saying "I''ll never buy a radeon ever again.", consider that if a potential advertiser sees this, you might be the one to sway them into taking their business elsewhere leaving us nothing.

I realise that this post is hardly going to suddenly convert everyone to wanting to buy a radeon, but please consider the long term effects.

Perhaps we could form a list of possible ideas which would sit a bit better with people, for example, the sponsered skinning sounds like a good idea to me, not only would it help pay the bills, but it would give a nice bit of variety

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Trying is the first step towards failure.
Advertisement
I don''t mind the Radeon advertisement. I don''t really see the problem. It''s quite a novel approach, and since it helps gamedev, it''s fine with me.

Knowing that the number of times it is viewed counts, I''ll start to slow down with clicking to new pages (often I change before the add is loaded).

Oh, and if GameDev allows us to pay... not just paypal okay? Please ensure that there is also a way to wire-over the money or something (I don''t have a credit card, but I want to pay :D )
Allright with making it a pay site, take into acount I dont earn dollars

4 Pesos = 1 Dollar

But NO green mocus then!

[edited by - xaxa on October 23, 2002 7:05:55 AM]
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Thanks, Myopic Rhino, for this informative statement.

This thread is already three pages long and there are no flames or negative comments yet. My assumption still stands that if this statement had been posted right from the start (before launching the ad), all the irritation could have been avoided.

But better now than never.
I think this point is sufficiently clarified now.
Well, ad itself is (as some have said before) very weak! Why should I consider buying a Radeon after watching that?
Oh well, but I like that type of ads way more then those pup-up windows, because you don''t have to click it away...
So if it helps you paying the bills, then continue using that ad-type beyond november!

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!
Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,today we're a step onward! Don't klick me!!!
I would just like to say that the ad seems to have progressed from being an acceptable nuisance, to being extremely annoying.

Basically now it seems to crash IE every time I visit the forums, unless I can click on a topic fast enough to avoid loading it.

I appreciate that ads are needed to keep gamedev alive, but this is starting to take the piss.
The ad is really annoying, but I lay the blame on ATI, not Gamedev. Gamedev needs the revenue, and it''s free.

Annoying as it is, I wouldn''t base my decision on what card to buy on an advert. (Although I prefer Nvidia anyway, as I''ve been doing some Nvidia specific OpenGL stuff recently, and want to continue doing that for a while.)

At the end of the day it''s still not annoying as spam anyways.
Gamedev could do that "membership = no advertisements" thingy some sites do (not saying which ones though..*cough*)

If Gamedev gets the search feature working again, I would be willing give about $5/month or so. I don''t spend a lot of time here (VS an MMORPG), but I don''t have to because the information (and making moderators angry) is so good!
I don''t like the add but it''s oke with me if i just saw it once.

I''m afraid that with the paid membership the new articles that come out are not free to view anymore.

I hope there will be two versions. One free with adds and one paid with no adds and that that''s the only difference.
FFS people, if you don''t like the ad send an email to ATI
saying the ad bothers you and you just purchased an nvidia card.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement