Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pcvsee

Game GUI?

pcvsee    122
what do RTS games like battle realms or *craft use for their GUI? do they create their own classes or just reuse the ones windows provides? these games actually implements all the basic controls (listbox, buttons, etc.) so i was wondering if they just recycle what windows has.

Taulin    100
I am pretty sure I have seen games use the standard window''s controls. I think they are used in the Network screen in AOE2, for example. It uses combos, text boxes and everything.

However, I always had trouble using the window controls while using DirectX (probably because I was doing it wrong). So, I, and many others here, ended up making our own controls to use in-game. It is surprisingly easy since many controls are composites of other controls. For example, my Label is a modified Picture (which is just a DX Sprite wrapper), and my Button has several Pictures. Also my list box is made up of Buttons and Labels.

pcvsee    122
how do you handle the messages of the controls and the refreshing of the GUI? did you constantly poll the control(looping until the application closes) or do you use timers (WIN32 SetTimer)?