Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gamechampionx

C++ class problem

gamechampionx    140
I''m working on my Text RPG (source atthis place. As you can see, in the Item member functions, I have SetItem. In the newly-created member function, *ConvertName, I want to take in the intem type, item number, and whether there is 1, or != 1 items. What I want to do is make it easy to output any item''s number, in the loop at the bottom, in the inventory outputing function. So, in the *ConvertName, I want to create and object of the Item class to SetStats, and the GetName with, in order to easily output an item''s name. Is this the right way to do it? How is it done?

Fruny    1658
a) You''re using C strings, with strcpy
b) Each and every data member has a pair of functions modifying it that exactly reflect its type ( char[21], char[7] ...)
c) The initialisation data is in huge nested switch statements.
d) The classes themselves offer zero functionality
e) The main logic is laid out as switch statements, without decoupling code and ''world'' data.

a,b and d alone would have me wondering why you''re using classes at all
c and e alone would have me teaching you about data files

All together leave me speechless and reluctant to further examine the code.

- For text fields in a class, use a C++ std::string. They support direct assignment, concatenation, array access ...
- Only offer access functions for data members that need to be exposed
- Consider placing your attributes in an array : there is no need for separate GetLevel, GetSpellLevel ... it could be GetAttribute( ATTR_LEVEL ), GetAttribute( ATTR_SPELL_LEVEL ) ... ONE single member function ( two if you want read/write ).
- Your initialisation data in text (or binary) files and load them up. Or in arrays. NOT in switch statements. Switch statements are good when you want to execute different code based on a switch value. Here, you''re just loading different data, which could be stored at different array offsets.
- Your race & class modifiers could likewise be stored in an array, or a file, not hardcoded at the point of use, where they will be a pain to change ( and cause a full recompile everytime they do ... think about the playtesting phase of the game ... do you think they rebuild it everytime they want to tweak ONE single parameter ? )
- Idem of your ''room'' descriptions and available choices. Learn to load them from files (Hint: fstream works just like iosstream)
- You direct all your print commands to cout. Shouldn''t the output stream be a function parameter ?

There is MUCH more to be said, but you already have your plate full.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]