Recording electric guitar, quality problem. Any suggestions?

Started by
16 comments, last by UnshavenBastard 21 years, 4 months ago
It''s a matter of preference. Try a few out at the store.
It''ll take the dynamics out of your tone (squash it). I don''t personally like them on guitar, but some do, especially if they want loads of sustain.
Advertisement
honestly i usually dont use preamp effects. i do all of my effects in the post
editing process via Sound Forge and plugins

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
quote:Original post by UnshavenBastard
EDIT:
I tried this: volume very low, creative plastic computer
mic very close to the speaker, to not making my neighbours
go crazy...
well, doesn''t sound brilliant, and because of the
low volume I have extra noises...
but it seems to be the way to go, sounds indeed better
than direct connection.
I''ll go and get a better microphone.

The Creative ones are active microphones and do their own amplification, which picks up noise. ''Proper'' microphones won''t do this, but you''ll get a much cleaner signal as a result. Problem is, you''ll probably need to have the amp up louder too. And the mic will need to be either touching or mere millimetres from the amp, generally. Try deadening the sound with cushions below and around the amp, and that way you can reduce the chance of your neighbours complaining, and also reduce unwanted reverberation into the bargain.

Also, if you have Sound Forge or something similar, and you''re just starting to record with a new setup, analyse your recordings for frequency spikes... sometimes you can spot electrical hum or whatever and nuke it quite effectively with a single filter.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
thanks, I''ll try this out.

I have an old version of SForge (I think SF XP 4.5 is old? :-),
well, but it can do this.

Being a pro audio guy, Id actually tell you to get a conpressor (you can get a decent fone for $60 on ebay)and plug the output of your distortion to the input of the compressor,and the output of your compressor into your sound card. That shoudl give you the desired effect without overdriving the signal path to your soundcard.
I don''t know anything about electic guitar but my cousin does. He records a lot of songs from his guitars (electric and accoustic). In fact he has tons of them on his computer. Here''s his e-mail: finke@hotmail.com or finke.17@osu.edu He might answer you if he''s not too buisy playing Super Mario World. He needs to get his ass off of that. He usually checks his e-mails at noon. So if you wait till then you should get a reply from him. His name is Jorge Finke and when you contact him tell him to get his dumbass off of the couch and stop playing Super Mario World.
I''m @ schoo, so I don''t have much time, but like other ppl said, go right from the guitar to the sound card, and even then, put the guitar level at highest half, if not lower [most sound cards can''t handle much; you can distort it just by having a semi-high level]
"Somebody should make a game about pirating video games. That would be interesting."~Chandler
Please do not necro threads.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement