Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DerMeister

Simple terrain creation for begginer

DerMeister    122
Hi people I know this is a common topic, but I cannot find where to start. I want to create a simple terrain, a sea floor like the one in the d3d8.1 dolphin sample, which is an .x file, but in my case I want to generate it randomly in height (it should be a square). I''ve been trying to understand some code samples from www.andypike.com but I am a newbie and I cannot figure out how it completely works so, does anyone know about a good tutorial on how to make this (I saw it used indexed triangle lists but couldn''t figure out how it found the shared vertices)... I would appreciate your help on this... No matter where you go... &this

Fidelio_    122
quote:
Original post by DerMeister
Hi people I know this is a common topic, but I cannot find where to start. I want to create a simple terrain, a sea floor like the one in the d3d8.1 dolphin sample, which is an .x file, but in my case I want to generate it randomly in height (it should be a square). I''ve been trying to understand some code samples from www.andypike.com but I am a newbie and I cannot figure out how it completely works so, does anyone know about a good tutorial on how to make this (I saw it used indexed triangle lists but couldn''t figure out how it found the shared vertices)... I would appreciate your help on this...

No matter where you go... &this

Try www.vterrain.org

Look for implementations of terrain rendering, and download the LSCAPE source and exe. That should give you a good start.