[java] java gamedev tutorials

Started by
1 comment, last by Abob 21 years, 6 months ago
I am looking for some tutorials on programming a game in a java applet. My Background is C++ and I have worked with java a little in the past, so I think I know java syntax ok. What I am looking for is info on all the java API’s used in game programming (like working with images, sound, gui and input). And also about how to structure the game in the multithreaded environment on an applet . Thanks for any help :-)
Arrg!!
Advertisement
Sun provide full API specifications for their runtime environment as well as a great tutorial that deals with all the things you mention (images, sound, gui and input) and more.

When creating an applet, you need to decide whether you should design for JDK1.1 or the latest version of Java. Designing for the latest version of Java will give you access to all the features mentioned in the APIs above and the tutorial but will require that the user has installed the Java plugin in the browser. You can make your applet Webstart enabled which means that the user will be prompted to download the plugin if he does not have it already, but it still means a 10 mb download.

[edited by - HenryAPe on October 23, 2002 7:03:13 AM]
I have two applet games on my site: Tetris and Asteroids with sources.

www.geocities.com/nonnus29/index.htm

[edited by - nonnus29 on October 24, 2002 12:05:28 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement