Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2D/3D Scrolling Engine (are there any?)

This topic is 5523 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just wondering if there are any specific APIs or game engines targeted at creating 2D/3D side scrollers or shooters. Something along the lines of Strider 2 or Silpheed. If not how much 3D knowledge would be required to achieve such a setup. I know 3D can just be situated at a static angle for a traditional 2D effect (with depth) but was wondering if anyone has already layed out the foundation stones for others to use. On a similar note, how many people here would play/buy games done in this style?

Okay, well I''m knowledgable... maybe not enough though. I have, and am currently reading though, the OpenGL SuperBible (second edition) and Prima Tech''s OpenGL Game Programming. I figure OpenGL is the way to go simple because it''s more portable. Are there any other texts, demos, tutorials I should look at? Maybe something a little more specific to what I''m doing. This is going to be my first real endevour into 3D, even though I''m keeping the perspective completely 2D.