Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jediknight219

Breaking out of nested functions

This is probably not a good way to do this, but... I''ve got functions that call functions, and recursion and etc. And when I end up who knows how many functions deep, I''m going to have an error condition. What I want is to immediately jump back to a "top level" position. I could pass the error condition to the calling function, which passes the error condition back to its calling function, which passes... But that sounds like a pain. What I want sounds for all the world like a goto, but I don''t think a goto would quite work, unless I did some other wierd things, like manually deallocate the stack. So far what I''ve thought up sounds really nasty. Anybody know a way to do this?

In c++ you can throw an exception and catch it in the outter most function call.
But alot of overhead goes into building and destorying function entries and exits. Which the C++ compiler has to predict but even more over head when it unravels the function stack.

That sounds promising. As far as overhead goes, if it''s something that degrades performance when I get the error condition, I think I can live with that. But if it''s something that degrades performance when everything''s running fine, then that deserves a closer look.

Exceptions, my friend.

This is exactly the situation that they were designed for.

class some_exception
{
// specifics

};

void inner3()
{
if(/* some error check here*/)
throw some_exception();
else
{
// normal function logic

}