Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shelagh

La Mothes book?

I''ve been reading a lot about programming and direct x. I would like to start a simple project, maybe tetris or a sidescroller of somesort, just a few questions first. Reading La Mothes book, Tricks of the windows game programming gurus, he suggests using globals whenever possible, but I have seen (somewhere) on this site (or others), that that is a bad idea. Also, using inheritance in programming is bad is a bad idea, but I''ve also heard otherwise. I want to start programming with good habits so clearing up when to use certain techniqes would help. I know LaMothes book is a few years old, are his techniques still suggested for use today? Even with a firly simple game I would like to try and put as many programming techniques to use, even if they are not needed, for practice. I have learned a lot of theory, but have not applied much of it yet. Ok, I think I got all my questions out. Thanks

Guest Anonymous Poster
A lot of his techniques weren''t considered very good even when that book was new.

You should have an additional book on C++ by this point: Read that one and follow it''s coding style suggestions.

Ok first of all, how long have you been programming in C and/or C++.
If you just started, then put off the game making for a little bit until you know the basics like functions, array, pointers, structs, classes, loops, selection structures and such things.

Well if you know the stuff above and well, then I would use Teej''s Hands On Interactive Game Development (it''s in the Forums). Go through that THEN go through LaMothe''s book. It''ll be easier for you.

Hope that helped.

I''ve been programming for about 2 years now, and in C/C++ for about a year. So I''m still kinda of new, but I have a good understanding of Classes, pointers and all that. I think I tried doing a bit of Teej''s Hands On Interactive Game Development a while ago, but some links didn''t work, I''ll try again. Thanks for the help.